DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I own a '99 Trep and was wondering how much a decent paint job would cost. I know Maaco does a sketchy one for a couple of hundred bucks, is that worth it? The car is currently gold and I'm really not a huge fan, I'd probably end up with a black or silver job.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
A color change will run you thousands, just for a decent one. If you stick with the same color, a good job will probably run you $1500-$2000.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maaco doesn't do a bad job. They painted a Chrysler 5th Ave I had a few agos and my daughters Sebring. Just don't change the color if they do the work. Changing the color takes a lot more work (painting door jams etc). If you're looking to perk up the apperance their Ambassador (mid line paint job that they run a sale on for half price here in the spring) isn't a bad deal. Ran us about $400.00 per car.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Macco is no different than any other auto painter. If you pay for their quality service, you'll get a quality paint job. If you pay $200, you're probably going to get something that looks like it was applied with a roller.

I've been painting cars for a few years now. I've been offering complete color changes (obviously I can't do the engine bay) for people starting around $1000 for House of Kolor products. I'll have a couple of my products on display at Carlisle this year.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
One thing you can do to 'help out' MAACO (or any other painter) is to take off your mirrors, door trim pieces, and the hood cowl plastic before droping your car off. Maybe pull the wipers yourself and the tail lights too. The less masking the shop has to do, the more time they can spend on important stuff like surface cleaning and prep.

If the shop has an option for a higher-end clear-coat, say a two part composition, take it.

If you have a local shop that does paint jobs for 'low-rider' style show-grade pickup trucks, check them out. Their prices for a plain-jane sedan might surprise you and you'll be tapping into some of the craftsmanship and skill that goes into those show trucks.

Don't push the shop too hard to get your car back. You want the car to bake in their oven for as long as possible and then to just sit for a while. And then let your car sit at home, indoors, for a while too. Paint can take up to 30 days to cure completely. Heat lamps in an oven speed this up, humid conditions slow it down. Don't get bird poop on the new paint.

Avoid any glue-on accessories for a few weeks. Stay away from front-end bras, etc, too. Do nothing to the car that might muck up the curing process of the paint.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My friend's step dad does painting part time. I was at his house awhile ago and he was putting a bodykit on an accord and repainting it with a metallic blue with silver flake. The car was an ugly bright orange, so it was obvious it had been painted over once already. My friend opened the door and showed me the orange headliner. Apparently Maaco had painted it last and for some reason opened the windows a little and forgot to shut them. It looked soo funny!! In addition, the paint was peeling in places. I've also known people who have had their cars done by Maaco and have been really happy. I've heard the thing they really screw up is the prep work and if you get the car prepped and ready for paint, they usually do a decent job of spraying it. I've never had a car painted by them though, and most likely never will. Unless your car eally needs paint and there is no chance of them making it worse, then i would give it a try. Otherwise you're probably much better off going to a reputable shop, but you will definitely pay more!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for all the advice guys. I guess I'll probably have the paint job redone same colour, or sell this one and buy one in the colour I want.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts