DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else heard of these yet? They seem pretty cool and worthwhile. Looks like a lot of thought has been put into them and they have a price tag to match. Anyway, here's a link for others to read up on them www.roarinc.com And I'm kinda sorta considering getting one now, but they do run about $500 :crazy: . Let me know what you guys think.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Oh geez...here we go again with another electric "supercharger"... I was expecting a lot more for the kind of money they want...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In2Deep said:
Oh geez...here we go again with another electric "supercharger"... I was expecting a lot more for the kind of money they want...
It's more than just flip a switch kinda crap that you see elsewhere. This is different. It runs all the time and at idle it creates the same effect of Ram-air at 90mph. And shuts down as air begins to flow from you going down the road. It definately is a little bit more high-tech.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOUD98ES said:
willing to bet that it still draws quite a current though.
Well, yah of course. Probably around what a descent stereo system pulls.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was looking at one of those and I was talking to my uncle about it but he said it would most likly draw a good amount of power and you may have to make up for that draw some how. He told me that it would not be worth it.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
It actually can't draw that much current. Look at the wiring they show and how they show connecting it. Basically, they just say find a relay that's powered with the key and jamb it under one of the prongs. That's a pretty shitty way of connecting something. If it drew that much current you'd constantly be blowing a fuse for what ever you tapped into. They don't even show a fuse being used in the installation of it. The "piping" looks just like dryer vent you buy at HomeDepot. The actual filter and intake part are carbon fiber but woohoo. A really strong, light material to replace a plastic intake that weights next to nothing and has no reason to be super strong. I don't know, the whole thing just screams RIP OFF to me...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Im sorry but there is no way that thing works....think about it, a supercharger making a few few psi of boost requires more power to turn than a alternator can put out.

just so you guys know... 1 HP=746watts...in other words with a ideal system voltage of 13.8volts you have to draw 746/13.8=54ish amps to pull one horsepower through the alternator...that of course assumes the alt is 100% efficient, but I would think that a typical alt would ever be able to take more than 4-5hp off a motor at full load.

yes it looks cool though

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Yep...looks like a carbon fiber hair dryer to me... Waste of good time and money...

There's a reason that Kenne Bell, Vortech, Magneson, and others charge so much for a REAL supercharger...THEIR STUFF ACTUALLY WORKS! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts