DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe why that is why I post. I know so many LH cars that have died, disappeared, or last seen in junkyards.
Well Chrysler only made about a million or so first gens from June of '92 to September of '97. They sold well for their time but they weren't exactly the paragon of reliability despite the astounding reviews these cars received during their run. Plus add to the fact that the original design is nearly 30 years old and most of the critical OEM replacement parts for suspension and cooling are very hard to come by.

I'm probably the only person in Canada who dailies a 27 year old car.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Well Chrysler only made about a million or so first gens from June of '92 to September of '97. They sold well for their time but they weren't exactly the paragon of reliability despite the astounding reviews these cars received during their run. Plus add to the fact that the original design is nearly 30 years old and most of the critical OEM replacement parts for suspension and cooling are very hard to come by.

I'm probably the only person in Canada who dailies a 27 year old car.

Eagle was built August 13th, 1992 which from what I can find and have seen makes it one of the oldest LH cars still out there.( turns 29 this year!) I am more than aware of it's age. Alot of the parts are still not hard to find. But I gauge some things by junkyards. Either they are not there because of not many left. Or too new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Eagle was built August 13th, 1992
First LH off the line was June 30, 1992 and I believe it was an emerald green Vision TSI. Here's a hat that was given to the Bramalea Assembly employees in commemoration of the launch:
WP_20160224_002.jpg
Alot of the parts are still not hard to find.
I've owned my 94 Concorde for over 10 years and parts availability (both new and through junkyards) is quite scarce. There is simply no demand for keeping a 25+ year old Chrysler product on the road. When I rebuilt my suspension, most of the critical parts were obtained by my dealer through Chrysler Vintage (upper strut mount, bearing, jounce bumper). Not many are in the system and once those parts are gone that's it (plus add to the fact that there is no warranty for parts ordered through Vintage). Aftermarket is OK in some respect (Moog Problem Solver control arms and outer tie rods with grease fittings are quite good, as are their tension strut bushings) and the KYB GR-2 is a more than adequate replacement for the original Tokico struts. Of course, who's to say how long these aftermarket parts will remain available.

When it comes to cooling, I've yet to find a replacement for the cooling tube that runs around the engine (3D printer perhaps?). Ditto for wiring harnesses. Headlights are difficult to find. Does Chrysler even offer rebuilt 42LE transmissions anymore?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
First LH off the line was June 30, 1992 and I believe it was an emerald green Vision TSI. Here's a hat that was given to the Bramalea Assembly employees in commemoration of the launch:
View attachment 41383

I've owned my 94 Concorde for over 10 years and parts availability (both new and through junkyards) is quite scarce. There is simply no demand for keeping a 25+ year old Chrysler product on the road. When I rebuilt my suspension, most of the critical parts were obtained by my dealer through Chrysler Vintage (upper strut mount, bearing, jounce bumper). Not many are in the system and once those parts are gone that's it (plus add to the fact that there is no warranty for parts ordered through Vintage). Aftermarket is OK in some respect (Moog Problem Solver control arms and outer tie rods with grease fittings are quite good, as are their tension strut bushings) and the KYB GR-2 is a more than adequate replacement for the original Tokico struts. Of course, who's to say how long these aftermarket parts will remain available.

When it comes to cooling, I've yet to find a replacement for the cooling tube that runs around the engine (3D printer perhaps?). Ditto for wiring harnesses. Headlights are difficult to find. Does Chrysler even offer rebuilt 42LE transmissions anymore?
How do you know about the first LH? I am massively intrigued and would kill for that Pin or hat. I have never heard of any of this. Please tell more.

I doubt it (42LE from ChryCo) However I opted to put a 2G trans in my Eagle with a massive cooler. Done great since. I knwo some shops still rebuild them and Jasper lists them.

I have GR-2 on the Eagle with Eibach Lowering Springs. Works fine except the one of a kinda sway bar breaks the sway bar bushing mount off (its a 1 in custom swaybar) I have Moog for tie rod (inner) and several other parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How do you know about the first LH? I am massively intrigued and would kill for that Pin or hat. I have never heard of any of this. Please tell more.
My father was hired as a production worker at the old American Motors plant on Kennedy Road where he started off in the body shop welding parts for the YJ. When Iacocca decided to transfer production of the YJ back to Toledo, everyone was sent down the road to Bramalea (Williams Parkway & Airport Road) to begin the launch for the LH. My father was present for the launch and those were one of the "gifts" handed out to the employees (in addition to meeting Iacocca himself). He kept a lot of stuff from the early days (pamphlets, union stuff, etc.). We even have some photos of the inside of the plant when the company held their first open house in December of '92. I also had the opportunity to work at the plant as a student from 2011 to 2018.

I'll see what I can do to post stuff. He's still employed there so I have to be cautious what gets posted. Hopefully Stellantis will decide to shutter the place so I don't have to worry. Got a lot of history with these cars.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
My father was hired as a production worker at the old American Motors plant on Kennedy Road where he started off in the body shop welding parts for the YJ. When Iacocca decided to transfer production of the YJ back to Toledo, everyone was sent down the road to Bramalea (Williams Parkway & Airport Road) to begin the launch for the LH. My father was present for the launch and those were one of the "gifts" handed out to the employees (in addition to meeting Iacocca himself). He kept a lot of stuff from the early days (pamphlets, union stuff, etc.). We even have some photos of the inside of the plant when the company held their first open house in December of '92. I also had the opportunity to work at the plant as a student from 2011 to 2018.

I'll see what I can do to post stuff. He's still employed there so I have to be cautious what gets posted. Hopefully Stellantis will decide to shutter the place so I don't have to worry. Got a lot of history with these cars.
Any LH related stuff you can share I would be absolutely crazy, err I mean thankful for!

121 - 126 of 126 Posts