DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was bored today and thought I would change the plugs in the car (40,000k). Went to a few parts dealers but not one of them had a listing for a 2000 Intrepid 2.7L. I know I can go to the dealer but I was wondering what everyone else was using and with what success. I would like to use a premium or platinum type but can't get any part numbers. Am I stuck with using the plain ol' OEM Champions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a first gen intrepid but when I ordered my Jacobs spark plug wires, the technical service guy stated that the platinum or special plugs (4 prong) have no advantage over the regular spark plugs. He also stated the champion plugs are one of the cheapest plugs on the market. He recomended Autolite plugs. This is not my opinions I'm just stating what he said.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I looked and looked, there is no aftermarket plug for the second generation spark plugs.

The only one I found was a Splitfire, but it did not meet the gap specifications

Most plugs are .035 thou, but these cars use a special plug that has a .048 to .058 and a deep reach.

There is no Bosch, NGK, Autolite that meet the gap specification.

Looks like were stuck.

If anyone finds a good aftermarket !!!that would be cool

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I hope i dont sound like a total idiot, but where exatly are the spark plugs on the 2.7? I've looked at my engine a couple times, but cant find any wires or anything...

·
Registered
349 Posts
JGarret98, the 2nd gen LH series uses coil-on-plug ignition... You'll find what looks like little transformers (3 on either side) of your intake plenum. There's an individual coil for each plug. If you unscrew those (a star screwdriver), pull them out and way deep inside are the spark plugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 2nd gens require platinum spark plugs because of the nature of the coil-on-plug system?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Thanks for the info Bart.... i guess that explains why i couldn't find the plug wires.

Is changing the wires in the 2.7 going to need a long ass extension to get the plugs out like on the first gen 3.5s?? I had to help my bro change his in his '96. i guess it wasn't all that bad except all the wires like busted when we pulled them off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Please tell me it's not true? No aftermarket plugs? I have had three plugs changed on my car already for problems and I need to take it in again for possibly another bad plug (at which point they better replace all of them) These OEM plugs are junk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After looking on the net for awhile I came across only a couple of options. Well I hope they are options. First nothing listed for a 2000 2.7L but I did find some for a '99 2.7L. I would hope they use the same plug. First off NGK site gave a part number of PTR5A-13 for a Platinum Plug and Champions site gave 2 Plug options. First #3032 Champion Platinum and RE10PMC5 for a Champion Platinum Base????. Bosch and Autolite sites gave (had) no replacement numbers. What I find hard to believe is that a domestic car especially a very good selling car(at least in Canada) has so little Aftermarket parts available.

·
Registered
349 Posts
JGarrett98, I'm not sure how long of an extension, but an 8" worked for me. You'll probably need at least a 6" extension to get the plugs out.

I recently had a tune up and I think he (my uncle) replaced them with bosch platinums

·
Registered
51 Posts
I looked and looked, there is no aftermarket plug for the second generation spark plugs....here is no Bosch, NGK, Autolite that meet the gap specification.
I'm confused; every GenII LH comes with platinum plugs, according to the FSM. A Canadian owner said his Owners Manual stated he should change his plugs at 25,000 km, but then when he did he found platinums in it from the factory.... :confused:

Having worked in several auto parts houses in my misspent youth, I can tell you that few if any plugs come "pre-gapped" You have to check the gap yourself, and it is not difficult to change it by 0.05" or more with a gapping tool. There is no need for a "gap specification" plug - you just adjust it to fit the application.

Personally, I use the Autolite 5503s in my 2000 3.2. The engine runs more smoothly than it did with the factory platinums - those were designed for very long life ( 100,000 miles ), NOT for performance. Dyno tests in many different engines ( but not the LH ) often show increased hp with the Autolites over other plugs - not a lot ( 2-4 ) but hey, they're cheap. I've found no downside to them - mileage didn't change - and they last plenty long enough. Today's engines don't need the frequent plug changes of a few decades ago due to higher energy ignition systems and to fuel without the lead and other additives which caused plugs to fail early.
:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts