DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Just wanted to say Hi to everyone. I'm kinda new to the whole Dodge/Chrysler arena. I recently purchased a 95 Chrysler LHS after I totalled out my previous car, a 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera. Needless to say this is a vast improvement! I was brought up by my dad to be more of a ford fan, and the first car that I was really loyal to was my 91 Mercury Cougar. There is a wonderful site out there for ford MN12s and I was hoping that there was one that was pretty good for the Chrysler LH platform, and it seems that I found it!

Now a little about my car, it is a 95 Chrysler LHS as I said earlier that is a one owner car before me with 62,000 miles. It has never been smoked in and it actually still smells new inside! I got a really good deal on it after my insurance settlement on my old car. I drive 130 miles a day round trip to work and it is basically all interstate driving. This car is a dream out on the highway! So far I have gotten between 25 and 26 mpg with it, plus it has enough power to surprise the heck out of anyone who sees it as a grandparents car! All this and still plenty of room for my wife and my 4 year old plus a trunk full of space for anything else.

I just had one question for anyone out there. I usually use 87 octane fuel in most of the vehicles that I own, and I noticed that 89 octane was recommended. I noticed a slight decrease in mileage with 89 but the response was just a tad better. Any ideas? Anyway, I am glad to find you guys. Seems like a lot of useful information for me to keep mine up and running well plus to make a few upgrades here and there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Welcome, we're glad you found us

P.S. i've been using 89 octane since i purchased my 96 concorde a few months ago. i havent experimented with different grade fuels, so i dont know about fuel economy discrepancies or better response....the owners manual says to use 89, so thats what i use :)

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
i am a cheap gas guy as well. from an internship i had a while back at a oil refinery, i found out that the octane numbers are a lot closer than you think. 87 octane for example was to be no lower than 87 however the refinery allowed a certain increase in percentage octane that could still be labeled as 87. Its quite possible that you pay more for an identical product some times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts