DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into buying a new plasma TV and this one caught my eye today:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7006134&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat33900050026&id=1099392081954

I was wondering if anyone has this or a similar model and can tell me how good it is. I realize it's EDTV and not HDTV, but as I only watch standard cable TV and DVD's, HDTV is just more money for something I don't really need. I'd also welcome suggestions on other plasmas for this price or cheaper that may be a better deal. Thanks. :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Good choice.

Unless you absolutley need or want the "Oooh" factor of hanging your set on the wall, I'd check out rear projected DLP televisions. They are not very thick, and dollar for dollar you usually get more features.

·
Registered
962 Posts
TehKing said:
Good choice.

Unless you absolutley need or want the "Oooh" factor of hanging your set on the wall, I'd check out rear projected DLP televisions. They are not very thick, and dollar for dollar you usually get more features.
Yeah, and the picture quality is as good as a plasma, and almost as good as the high end LCD ones.

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^ agreed with the afformentioned. Hanging a TV on the wall can sometimes seem gaudy. But if you build an entertainment system around a DLP, I think it would be equally as impressive. Do some research on how DLP's work in you haven't already. I think it's pretty impressive.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Panasonic probably makes the best plasmas.

And with DLPs don't forget about front projectors -- really big picture for a good price but they don't project black so the room needs to be pretty dark for home theater type use. AND: the flatest screen! :cruiser1:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Stay away from those cheap EDTV's. Nothing but a HDTV for a great picture.

·
Registered
849 Posts
bignoid said:
DLP doesn't project black. HUH? news to me. Please explain.
well I should qualify that -- front projectors don't project black (in other words: 'nothing' can't be projected) so that the darkest area on the screen can only be as dark as the ambient light on the screen.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i dont wanan HIJACK but i dont wann astart another thread

im building up my new homes basment and i wanna put in a REAL projector in their. are u putting ur tv in a well lit area , ?

ALi

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you have a projector I would imagine that you would HAVE to have a darker area to view pictures. I dont know much about projectors but with anything...research and then find the best buy.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
well the ones i allways see have lighting in the room allmost allways, like at my gym, we have 2 projecters in dark rooms for the tredmills, and those rooms have BIG WINDOWS from inside the club, and have lights lightly turned on inside

ALi

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
CONCORDIA, thanks on that link, do u think its a bad idea to go that rout, i want a BIG tv, andi know im gonna get suround sound anyways. so why not spend a FRACTION of the cost on this? right lol

ALi

·
Registered
434 Posts
There are projectors that you can spend a hefty amount of money on. You only get what you pay for. If you have the money don't go cheap if you're trying to impress somebody. I know I wouldn't.

·
Registered
849 Posts
lots and lots of choices in the front projector category. I think DLPs are probably the best choice $ for $. It's hard to find a place that has all three types for a side-by-side comparison. Sometimes you can find them for rent and then you can try them out in your application.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
chris, becareful with plasma's, they are very fragile and have only about a 5 year life span, IMHO if you are going to spend the money go with lcd or dlp.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts