DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out car shopping for my sister when i came across two intrepids at this little car lot. i looked at an 99 trep se with a 2.7 with 120k on it. --a little high i know. he wants 3 grand for it plus optional $428 for a 5 yr 100k warranty on engine, trans, drivetrain, etc. only catch with warranty is all fluid changes etc. must be done at an actual garage and documented. no doing the oil change yourself. my sister couldn't do them anyway!
i test drove the car and it seemed smoother than my 01 es. you couldn't even feel the car shift--until i got on it :notify: . the engine was quieter than mine also. the car was very clean, engine spotless, interior spotless. very nice car overall. the only problem was the a/c made a hissing sound when on. i told him about it and said if anything was wrong, he would have someone fix it and eat the cost. there are numerous bad tales regarding 2.7's, but also some that seem to want to last forever. sooo, what does everyone think. pass or play?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
383 Posts
ask them to let you use it over the weekend.

Sounds like they want to make a good impression on you, so use the hell out of it. When I test drove my 01, they let me drive it for the weekend up to my x's place and back...

They also knew that after being in the comfort of that car for that many miles, there was no way I *WASN'T* going to buy it ;)

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
well I paid 5500 for my trep 3 years ago,, its a 2000 base model 2.7, when i got it it had a lifter noise and i was thinking gloom and doom,, , but now 60k later, its still going strong,, its a kick ass car,, so Id go for it,, im sold on them

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
My A/C has made a hissing noise for quite a while now.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I wouldn't.
Ask to see the water pump and cam chain replacement paperwork-
Ya' know, the required P.M's at 90K, or is it 100K...
If done, then maybe.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Id definately say go for it. If anythings gonna happen to the engine and drivetrain, its gonna happen within the next 5 years and under that warranty. So buy the warranty ontop of it, and it seems like a really good deal to me...

Of all my cars, I miss my intrepid the most =(

·
Registered
176 Posts
My vote would be to go for it. With 120k it's almost gotta be highway miles and 9 times out of 10 anyone doing that kind of driving knows the benefits of regular maintanence. Get the extended warranty just in case. My '00 w/2.7 has a little over 102k and it's running great. I have to say I think the 2.7 has more pick up than the 3.3 in my 96 Eagle did.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I'd say pass. You said the warranty is only for fluid changes. i wouldn't touch a 98 or 99 2.7 Question did you get the engine good and warmed up on your test drive? Did he let you test it on the highway? He could've done anything to make it quiet...added thicker oil, etc. 3k sounds high. The trade in value on that is less than 2 grand.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the warranty is for the entire power train (engine, trans, etc). the one stipulation is that all fluid changes must be done at a shop ie. jiffy lube, wal-mart, etc. i drove the car for about half an hour on side streets and on the highway. got it up to about 70mph with no problems or noises. the warranty states that the oil must be changed within the first 60 miles or days--can't remember--but also with zero deductible. he called once today to say he still had it "for me" if i wanted it, if not, he understood but keep him in mind.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on a side note, when i was there an old man bought an $800 car w/o the optional warranty and said the clutch felt funny and it was overheating. they replaced the clutch and switched the thermostat and coolant all for free. the old man drove off and not 50 yards away, pulled over on the side of the road. one of the mechanics on hand ran down to see what was going on and the old man confessed, he could not drive a stick very well. anyway, to make a long story short, the dealer refunded the guy his money and offered free driving lessons in the future. never thought i would see the day where once a car was sold, they offered so much help for free...

·
Registered
589 Posts
cobra65 said:
I'd say pass. You said the warranty is only for fluid changes. i wouldn't touch a 98 or 99 2.7 Question did you get the engine good and warmed up on your test drive? Did he let you test it on the highway? He could've done anything to make it quiet...added thicker oil, etc. 3k sounds high. The trade in value on that is less than 2 grand.

he said he gets the warranty if he gets the fluid changes professionally. its like dodges free tires for life program, you get the tires aslong as you get the oil changes from them.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Well if it has a warranty for the engine and tranny, then I guess that would be okay. Those 2 things are the most important.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would read all the fine print on that warranty. There may be a high deductible or some major components may be excluded. I have also seen some warranties that pay less than 100% of the repair. The warranty may be worthless.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am heading over there monday to, i think, pick up the car. i am going to re-read the fine print for the warranty just to be safe. if it checks out, it is my sisters. she really wants an intrepid and this may be the only time she has some $. i agreed to loan her $1k to get the car. if something minor does go wrong, the owner assured me they would take care of it within the first year. if not, i will blow that MF up.....

j/k

--rudy--

1 - 16 of 16 Posts