DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my girls trep (96 auto) started messing w/her this morning.
She parked it on the side of the offramp, and got a ride to work.
I went to check it out, pulled it off onto a side street.
I noticed it seemed to be jumping back and forth into different gears.
Well came home and found this forum. :)
I found alot of posts bout the input/output sensors and their relation to limp mode.

We went back to check it out later and I drove it ((to see if it was not shifting outta 2nd) It seems to be staying in 1st (maybe 2nd,not my car, not used to the gears.....) Either way it is going like 20mph tops..:(
And if you try to give it any gas the tach jumps up accordingly w/out any speed increase... Slipping bad...

I think we're going to have it towed to the shop. Does it even seem like replacing the I/O sensors would help...Tran flush w/atf+4???

I just hope it isnt time for a replacement/rebuild..
Thanks
DAN

·
Registered
39 Posts
u might wanna try changing the tranny fluid leaving out a quart and goto an autoshop and buy slick50 (read the directions to make sure the exact ammount u leave out is 1 quart) then top it off with the solution its made to fix slips/leaks all of the sort..

my mothers galant slipped so bad it wouldnt move at all i did what i just offered to u and it drives fine now, note im no master mechanic but this is a cheap solution that might fix it for u and be better than going the high dollar route and if it doesnt fix it ur only out like 15 bux

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'd try the sensors first, about $40 for both of them, better than bringing to a shop, they're trained to screw you in any way possible, my step-dads 2000 ES was limp, jsut had a bad input sensor, shop told him tranny was toast and "went ahead" and put a "new" tranny in for $2200

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
hmm, my 96 stratus is limp and revving in 3rd when autosticked, fluid level is good.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I checked the fluid levels and they seem fine, also no MIL....
Does this mean that it's not in limp mode?
It is just basicly revvin' like it's in neutral (it catch's a lil but not much)
I'll have to try to check the codes in the morn..

THANKS
DAN

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Bad torque converter maybe?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
That definitely doesn't sound like a bad sensor. It sounds like exactly what my Cavalier started doing last year. It slipped badly but I was able to get it home. The next day I tried to drive it to a shop and couldn't get out of my driveway, all I got was a clanking in the trans and then smoke. If the fluid level is good and there is no MIL, then it seems like it would have to be something mechanical. Auto trannies are very complicated and often hard to troubleshoot. I would take it to a transmission shop and have them diagnose it,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bad Mount

I had a similar problem with my '93. The tranny went into limp mode and wouldn't come out. I raised the front end off the ground, started the engine, and placed in gear (wife did this). She gave it some gas while I watched. The rear tranny mount was bad and the whole thing was oscillating enough that the computer put it into limp mode. $54 tranny mount later and 50 drive cycles clocked and the car was working great.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If it's a bad mount have someone put the vehicle in reverse while holding the brake and have them give it a little gas the engine should move forward a lot. My advice would be what 00 rt mopar muscle said take it to a shop, did the car have any previous problems with the transmission or did this just all of a sudden happen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well we're going to have it towed to the shop.
Its weird because there was no warning, it just died outta nowhere.

No previous problems at all....
I'll let you guys know what transpires, hopefully just a mount or sensor.
It's too bad I really have a bad feeling about this.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
burnt fluid?

Hey Dan - What color is the ATF on the stick? The ATF should be red. Also, always smell the fluid. It should not smell burnt. These are indicators of serious problems that just fluid changes won't resolve. You probably have seal and clutch pack failures if the fluid smells burnt. When my '93 went limp and wouldn't go over 25 mph the first thing I did was check the fluid and drain and replace the ATF and filter. The fluid was not burnt so I knew the tranny internals were OK. That is when I found out that the rear mount was bad. The oscillations faked out the computer with input/output sensor problems codes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Same thing happened to mine, I couldnt go past 40km/h. Thought it might be the valves but the tranny was done. So I bought a new performance trany. $3,000 canadian later it runs amazing lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts