DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone, I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading as a guest for some time. I'm looking to get my 2000 intrepid 2.7 back on the road. Hoping I can find a lot of answers. Thanks to all in advance.:bandit::smileyvault-newhere

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
In a nutshell I replaced the 2.7 with another 2.7. Everything looks the same but it does not start. (no spark). Rechecked timing chain and found cam sprockets on left side are different. The replacement engine has a sticker on it that has a date of 7/2001. Are there any other differences.
Many thanks in advance.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
2001 was a crossover year - everything has to be 'just right' with regards to wiring, etc. It has bits of 02 and 00 design, as I understand it.

The safest bet would have been to find a 98-00 2.7 motor.

You may have to transfer parts from your old motor to get things going on this new motor....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
2001 was a crossover year - everything has to be 'just right' with regards to wiring, etc. It has bits of 02 and 00 design, as I understand it.

The safest bet would have been to find a 98-00 2.7 motor.

You may have to transfer parts from your old motor to get things going on this new motor....
That or do what some of the other members have done, and find a decent 3.2/3.5L engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies. I thought that a 2000-2001 swap would be a straight across swap but it obviously isn't. I don't want to keep dumping money into it so hopefully I can figure out what parts need to replaced and get it running. Hopefully someone here has gone through this process before and has that info to help me out. Thanks again.:tumbleweed:

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
Shouldn't be that big of a deal if you use your current engine wiring harness. Maybe have to swap out a sensor or two from your "old" engine to the "new".

The other possibility is that your new engine is not 2001 and is a later one...as in a 2002 or later. Then your talking about a cam sprocket/flywheel swap to get it running.

Are you absolutely sure the the donor engine is 2001?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, not sure of the year. But it does have a yellow sticker on the side of the left valve cover that has some bar codes and the date 07/25/01 in it. The harness and all the sensors all plugged in without any issues. The left side camshaft sprocket looks very similar but the tone ring holes are in different locations. I assume I have to use the one from the old engine. But what else if anything do I have to replace.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
Cam sprocket and flywheel will need to be changed. Which means the engine has to come back out for the flywheel change.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
No, not sure of the year. But it does have a yellow sticker on the side of the left valve cover that has some bar codes and the date 07/25/01 in it. The harness and all the sensors all plugged in without any issues. The left side camshaft sprocket looks very similar but the tone ring holes are in different locations. I assume I have to use the one from the old engine. But what else if anything do I have to replace.
If that's an original sticker then it's quite possible it's for the next model year which would be 2002. Remember that they start building cars in the previous year around September or earlier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a way to identify the correct flywheel like a part number? I don't have the flywheel for the "new" engine nor do I have access to the car it came from. I will have to locate one somehow.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
Was the flywheel changed for any reason before installation?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
If you're using the flywheel from your original engine....then the only other swap issue would be the cam sprocket.

If it really is an engine from the correct year range then your problem has something to do with the installation. That's not something that will be easily diagnosed over the Internet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't understand. My car is a 2000 and I have the original flywheel. The replacement engine, possibly an 01 or 02 model did not come with a flywheel. Should I look for one for a 2001 or newer?
By the way thanks for taking the time.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
If it's a 2002 or later engine it won't work unless you have the 1998-2001 cam sprocket and flywheel swapped out.

Sounds like you have your original flywheel which is good. The cam sprocket is now in question.

Do a search and do some reading on the engine swap details. I don't have time to explain all the little things involved.

It looks like you either have a later engine with the wrong cam sprocket (left side) or something got fooked up during the installation of the "new" engine. Like wiring...something not connected...a blown fuse...the list goes on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So what you are saying is that I need to use the flywheel and camshaft sprocket from my original 2000 engine on the potentially newer engine?
I currently have the 2000 flywheel and the newer engine cam sprocket which I can physically see is different from the 2000 cam sprocket.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,522 Posts
Signing out...someone else should be able to help you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts