DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the style of the 98 and up Intrepids and Concordes, but I'll be perfectly honest I don't know a darn thing about them. I don't mind the body styling of the early ones either, and they are probably going to be more towards my price for now.

So what I'm asking is: Is there anything to stay away from or look for when looking to purchase one??? I'm familiar with cars. I have and work on my 90 Mustang, but each car type has it's own little quirks. And that's what I need to know. I was told to stay away from these cars all together because they have serious tranny problems, but I thought that was a truck issue not the cars.

So ANY help would be greatful!! Thanks to all

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
welcome to the site, you will find all the answers you need in the second gen section, as 98 and newer are the second gens. IMO, from what i have read (as i own a first gen) the 2.7's, if not properly maintained, can cause issues.

HTH Bruce

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess I worded that alittle wrong. I do like the body style of the 98 and up. But I need to know about any problems with any of them. Because I'm thinking my budget will only allow for a 97 and older model. So I need to know any quirks with both!! I apologize for my writting.

·
Registered
276 Posts
try find one with low miles.
the transmissions are the weak link ,but with regular maintenance they can go for a long time.
MUST use atf+4 in the trans.
first gens had either he 3.3 or 3.5 engine.
both solid motors.
3.5 has about 214 horse, the 3.3 has 161 horse.
i love my 97. 3.3
very comfortable ride.
these cars come with independent rear suspension,very good at holding the road for a big car .
the motor sits in the engine bay like that of a rear wheel drive so it makes things a little easier to get at.
front rotors have a tendency to over heat and warp.
there are drilled rotors available at a good price.
there are lots of mods available for them.
as long as your not buying it for racing the trans should hold up .
if you can ,take it to a trans shop and have them give you the green light on it.
price wise you can get into one pretty cheap.
they depreciate fast,which is good for buyers.
what you dont know you can find out in the forums.
i speak as a first gen owner ,you can go to the second gen forum to find out more there.
hope you buy one and welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thank you. That is alot of what I was looking for. I don't really plan on doing anything with the car, besides making it a daily driver. I hear that they handle very well in the winter time too. I already have a 90 Mustang GT that I have for racing. But I also have 2 kids that I need to take places and I don't always want to take the Mustang during the summer. The Intrepid seems to be very roomy, and I've bee told they handle great!! There style is very appealing too, I was just worried about the reliability of them. But that helped answer and look for problems when buying one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went and looked at couple today. I found a purple 2000, but it had the 2.7 in it. And then I found a 97 Concord with the 3.5 I think, and a 96 Intrepid with the 3.5. We've kind of ruled out the Concorde though. Don't care for the body lines as much as the Interpid.

RJ-Amazingly enough we have never had an issue with the Mustang at all. I've had her 3 years now and not a problem. But then our 93 F150 on the other had has been good, just little irratating things going wrong. I usually try to research my cars pretty good before I buy, so that I'm not stranded somewhere with my 2 kids. This is exactly why I subscribed here.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
def go for the 96 with the 3.5!! 1rst gens pwn j00! as for transmission mine is holding up very well [knock on wood][/knock on wood] and i have 167,000 miles on it. and i drive like an asshole :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No all I'm having luck finding is 2.7's and 3.5's right now. But then again I just started looking. My husband is really liking the styling of the 98 and ups. But we are only finding those with the 2.7's. Did they come with anything else??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts