DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had good luck with my '98 Stratus 2.4 but it's not that comfortable on long trips and I want something bigger. Northern California freeway conditions don't help either.
My experience with large cars until now has been only with OHV rear-drives. An Intrepid or Concorde sounds good to me, but exploring this site leaves me with some doubts about the risks with these.
I see that I need a Gen2 to avoid transmission problems, and I'm concerned about both the 3.2 and the 3.5 Gen2's since they are interference engines.
This leaves the 2.7, which has its own problems. I don't drive hard and economy is important, but I don't see how I could feel good with a 2.7 if it might break at any time.
A new or very new car is out of the question, so getting a car with a warranty would be difficult.
Any ideas on how to proceed?
Thanks, Ray Mac.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I have two Treps with 3.5l, one of them having higher than average mileage, and have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. My previous Trep had a 2.7l and was traded with just over 270,000kms ( 170,000miles ) and the only maintenance was 1 O2 censor and regular oil changes. I find that the 3.5l is actually more fuel efficient than the 2.7 was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I failed to see rob4's post before I posted. Looks like we both have the same concerns.
Ray Mac.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Don't worry about the interference engine. Just replace the timing belt water pump and tensioner pulley and you are good to go for 100000 miles.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Interference engine should be the least of your concerns. Do some research on the 3.2/3.5's and the 2.7's........you'll realize that the 3.2/3.5 is the way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. Since first posting I've done further searching. The 2.7 has even worse problems than I first thought.
Ray Mac.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again.
I'm especially impressed by the responses from Ontario. Small world--I was born in the US but my father came from the Kingston area.
Ray Mac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts