DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. Been reading the board some and actually this site helped me fix my mothers car. She has a 2001 Intrepid 2.7. Had to replace the cam sensor cause of the codes it was pulling. Still has the normal oil smoke issues and the slight knock that it's had for years.
Well yesterday she was on the way to NC when the knock got super loud so she pulled off the road. I had her check the oil and it was full. She tried to take it to the next exit when it would even want to run. Had it towed back to Jax to a shop that was recommended. The guy looked it over and said that the knock was extremly loud from the bottom end and has a slight squeel to it, meaning the bearings are shot. He said the cheapest and best thing would be for a rebuild. He said it was about 5K. My mother just finished school and has a good job but is trying to get back on her feet and in no way can afford the 5K.
My question is, what options or advice do you guys have? What should we do?

Thanks!!

Russ

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Either get rid of the car, or put a 3.2L or 3.5L engine in (much more reliable and a lot cheaper than rebuilding the 2.7L).

Do NOT have the 2.7L rebuilt, and do not put another 2.7L in, you're just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avenger said:
Either get rid of the car, or put a 3.2L or 3.5L engine in (much more reliable and a lot cheaper than rebuilding the 2.7L).

Do NOT have the 2.7L rebuilt, and do not put another 2.7L in, you're just asking for trouble.
Thanks for the responce. How much are those motors going for? I can always just install the 3.2 or 3.5 motor myself. Does the ECU and wiring harness match up or will those need replacing also? Does the tranny bolt up also?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
you can use the same ECU and tranny.

Just make sure if you have an '01 or earlier model, go with an '01 or earlier engine. If you have an '02 or newer model, go with an '02 or newer engine.

There are MANY threads here about doing the swap......use the search button. It's been discussed dozens of times (there's even a stickied thread in 2nd gen general discussion).

HERE: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39677

·
Registered
528 Posts
5K????? Forget That I had My 2.7 replaced for 3k engine and work. The engine that replaced it did have 44k miles on it though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts