DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and found it by accident looking for answers to my recent 2.7 engine failure . I've had this 98 since new and managed to put 103k on it and only had to replace 1 fan motor and one wiper washer pump in that time until last week when my engine gave up. Changed oil every 3 k and kept up the maintenance so I'm totaly puzzled at the how the engine could die like it did. I 've since read all the horror stories on the 2.7 and sludging and suspect thats my problem as I haven't had time to do an autospy yet. Love the car but now I find I will have to spend mega bucks on a replacement 2.7 engine and would always be wary of a repeat. I've heard varied opinions on different engine swaps and would like some expert advice here. Couple things to consider;
1. I can't afford to drop another 5 k in a car worth 4k.
2. I am mechanical and can handle most jobs required
and would do most work myself
Any helpful input on a engine swap would be nice. Great site

:biggrin:

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
nixter98 said:
Any helpful input on a engine swap would be nice.
Contact Loud98ES for a engine. He can normally snag one for cheap.
Contact Dcrepid00. he did a engne swap. He used to have a 2.7, now he has a 3.5 motor in his SE.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm just here to say HI! and welcome of course :waves:

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
welcome to the site, and sorry to hear about your bad turn of events. there are a few members that have done this swap, so the info is there for you too find. good luck and enjoy the site.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. The 3.5 swap sounds like a good alternative.
I plan on disecting my 2.7 this week to see if I can salvage it. If not I'll see what I can do w/ a 3.5.

·
Registered
952 Posts
3.5L is the way to go! I've got a 95 3.5L ES.. Driven my friends 3.3L, it's (sorry guys) junk compared to the 3.5!!! Good luck with the swap!

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
FirespiritES said:
3.5L is the way to go! I've got a 95 3.5L ES.. Driven my friends 3.3L, it's (sorry guys) junk compared to the 3.5!!! Good luck with the swap!
2nd gen 3.5's and 1st gen 3.5's are totally different. In so many ways besides the power output, and the look. It's like comparing apples to fruitcake. :crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts