DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new here and I'd like to say these forums are GREAT!

I just picked up a 99 Intrepid 2.7 L which recently had the engine replaced and the tranny rebuilt. The car runs real nice for the most part, but I have noticed a couple of problems:

1. When starting on a cold engine, if you turn on the defrost/fan, the rpm's drop, and the engine starts running very rough, like it want's to stall, and the lights dim/flicker. I've only seen this on a cold start, and it doesn't matter if the A/C is turned on or not. Also doesn't seem to be affected by headlights or rear defrost, which makes me think it's not related to the alternator. Giving it some gas for a few seconds seems to resolve this.
2. When turning on the A/C any time, there is a momentary sueal- sounds like a belt, I think. The A/C also seems a bit slow to get cold.

I'm also wondering if these problems might be related. I tried pulling trouble codes from the odometer, but I can't get it to work.

I've spent quite a bit of time browsing this site, and whiile I have a few ideas on things to check, haven't seen much direcly related to my specfic problems. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Trouble codes = click click click three times and then click and leave it in the position before starting the car watch for codes p???? if you see nothing then theres no codes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you are getting a squeel when the AC comes on the belt most likely needs to be replaced. The AC belt is separate from the serpentine belt but the problems you are seeing could still be belt related - you have to take off the serpentine belt to replace the AC belt. Also check for loose / corroded electrical connection at the battery (located in the right front fender below the air cleaner) and the jump posts located on the right fender.

·
Registered
106 Posts
HounddogLGS said:
1. When starting on a cold engine, if you turn on the defrost/fan, the rpm's drop, and the engine starts running very rough, like it want's to stall, and the lights dim/flicker. I've only seen this on a cold start, and it doesn't matter if the A/C is turned on or not. Also doesn't seem to be affected by headlights or rear defrost, which makes me think it's not related to the alternator. Giving it some gas for a few seconds seems to resolve this.
2. When turning on the A/C any time, there is a momentary sueal- sounds like a belt, I think. The A/C also seems a bit slow to get cold.
The one common thread seems to be the Compressor. Starting the compressor causes a squeal (the belt slipping no doubt) and also causes the engine to run rough when cold. Perhaps the compressor has difficulty turning ( a lot of friction due to some reason)? This would put extra strain on the belt (potentially causing it to squeal) and also might cause trouble with the engine, which is trying to turn it. The engine should compensate to an increased load while idling by increasing the RPM (via the idle air control motor) and/or richening the mixture (actually increasing the "pulse width" of the fuel injectors.) Perhaps a sensor involved with this is not working ok, although this may be doubtful in a brand new engine.

These are just guesses though, it looks like an interesting problem to diagnose.

Re: The trouble DTC codes: You have to turn the key three times on while the engine is off. You need to do this fairly quickly or it won't work. Also if it has no codes, there will be no effect. Only some codes may be shown in this manner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts