DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,443 Posts
The 2002 R/T had the best ride/handling overall of all the LH Line. More compliant than the Special suspension and handles just as well. I can vouch for that as I had a 2002 R/T and currently have a 2002 300m Special.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,443 Posts
Sorry to hihack your thread.!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also change the stock unit and system for something more punchy. Even if it was still working fine, it needed an upgrade.
Headunit is now a Pioneer DEH-S7200BHS.
All go to a 5 channel amplifier, Pioneer GM-DX975 optimized for Hi-Res Audio. 4x75W + 1x350W in 4 Ohm.

Up front, 2 way component Pioneer TS-Z65CH, optimized for Hi-Res Audio as well. Tweeter are in place of the sail speaker. Stealth install. I have used the stock speaker wires to feed the speaker s from the crossover.

In the back, 2 way component again, Pioneer TS-D69C. Tweeter was integrated in the pillar. It gives a better audio rendering.

Subwoofer is a Pioneer TS-SWX3002, 12" sub.
Also the front doors have been sound proofed, and the rear deck and trunk has also been sound proof.

Second battery in the trunk, an optima bluetop that I had around and another bluetop upfront (I had 2 spare optima). And a big 3 upgrade under the hood.

IMG_20200108_195841.jpg
IMG_20200108_195805.jpg
IMG_20200203_201220.jpg
IMG_20200203_201206.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
36000 miles passed today. Riding smooth and strong.
With the begining of the stay at home in L.A., I hit 130mph at the GPS a few time (before CHP start being on the lookout). I love that car.
Definitely need an exhaust system for more oomph. Otherwise, a great daily.
Need to check my AC, got noise sometimes when using it (especially when reving or turning it on)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,953 Posts
Can you post a video with the a.c. noise? We might be able to diagnose it from that. Could be the compressor on its way out, but again we could tell one way or other from hearing it. Has a.c. been recharged a few times? If so, may be low in oil unless some was added along with the R134a.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Difficult for the video as it s usually as I l driving.
Sound is like a slipping belt. And sometimes, feels like engine loss power as it need to pull harder as like a pully is stuck.
When I bought it, seller told me he got it refilled not long before. Don't know if he did a full ac change or just one of those refill can.

·
Premium Member
16,953 Posts
If compressor is going out, that could explain the slipping belt and perceived loss of power.

If perhaps the belt noise is real and the power loss is the normal compressor load but you're noticing it now only because the noise is making you pay more attention, than consider the following:
• Loose or old, slick, worn, or contaminated belt.
• A.C. belt tensioner pulley bearing is dry/bad (possibly loading belt).
• If the a.c. belt is slightly loose, the 3.2/3.5 has a peculiarity of the belt making a strange noise only for a second or two while accelerating as the engine passes between around 13k and 18k rpm. You can't duplicate this noise sitting still - you have to be on the road in gear with the engine speeding up loaded by the car. If this is the problem, simply tightening the belt a bit more will fix it. The belts need to be a little tighter than many people think they should be. The accessory bearings are made to take the slightly higher tension. Proper tension is 1/4 to 3/8" deflection from moderate thumb pressure in center span of the belt.

I posted a you tube video of what the compressor sounds like if it's getting ready to seize up or self destruct (due to low oil or just wear). I'll find that and post it here. IF that's the problem, you should be able to duplicate the compressor noise with the car parked. If you can't duplicate it with the a.c. on, temperature on max. cold, cabin fan on high, and rev'ing the engine, then the compressor is probably not the problem, but I would at least prove to yourself whether you can or cannot create the noise (that you'll hear in my video) with it parked to rule it in or out.

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Premium Member
16,953 Posts
This is my video of what the failing compressor in my 3.2 Concorde sounded like while rev'ing the engine:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, does it just do that with AC on? If so that's one loud compressor, you can try sucking in some compressor oil, but if its that loud then I would say its done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,953 Posts
Wow, does it just do that with AC on? If so that's one loud compressor, you can try sucking in some compressor oil, but if its that loud then I would say its done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That was the video of my compressor (that I replaced right after that video was taken) as an example to Nexus of what a bad compressor sounds like in case his sounds like that too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sorry for not answering earlier guys. Got super busy lately between work and my wife.
Thank God the compressor doesn't sound as bad. It s a pulley like whinning noise as I say. If it sounded like this I have change it.
It does around 2200 rpm or when pushing the car in the rev around 4200rpm.
So either pulley worn or most likely need some oil.
I guess I ll start with an AC service at a shop and change the AC and accessory belts, see what happen then.
I ll keep you updated. Thank you all for the input.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It s about time I update.
Geez, been busy like nuts with work. Just catch up on all this madness
Anyway, when to get an AC check and change. No leak, yay, but noise still there. Next step I guess the belt and tension on it.
AC blow icy cold tho, and winning is not constant and only in certain situations. So I guess I have to deal with it for the moment.

Otherwise, upgrade the radio with a screen unit.
Love it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey guys, hasn't post in a while.
Got busy with work and my wife 98 Durango got stolen (with the keys!!!!) and the thief did a hit and run. Car was recovered, repaired mechanically and bodyly from the damage, and a lot of bs to deal with and still dealing as now. So not so good.

Intrepid just pass 42200 miles. Just got brake pads change (after 11500 miles), when I check I find there was 2mm left on them. So as I could not handle it to do it myself (tons of overtime) send it to the shop. Also did an oil change that was due, and the shop found a leak from the engine (didn't told them anything, and they find where my quart of oil every month or so was going). Happen that the gasket from the camshaft thrust cover was the source. So now, this is fixed, my oil stay where it should be.
Car is running like a charm.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts