DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a bit o` brake fade on my fronts, but there was no squeeling when I hammered the brake, so I just thought they where slightly worn...

God was I wrong.... Removed the wheels, and I seen about 2mm of meat on the pads, took the rotors off and it was such a mess, the backside of them where pitted and bits where just falling off them, I`ll be taking a shot of them becuase I have never seen a rotor this bad before... Anyway, the funny thing is I goes and takes one of the rotor`s and shows wife saying "Hey, looky, I gotta get me some more rotor`s for the Concorde" She looks at them and says "No ya dont, that wil all wear down with youre new pads!"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Wife is a budding mechanic me thinks, or she thinks! :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
No they don't. Your now scarred rotors will annhilate your new brake pads. Your braking distance will suffer and your pads will wear down VERY quickly. Deep scars on the rotors can not be fixed. If they are tiny scars you can layth the rotors to take them out and smooth out the rotors.

I'm sorry bro but you are gonna have to buy new rotors. trust me on this one.

Buschman
aka the bearer or bad tidings :(

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude,

I know I gotta buy new ones :) I was just been sarcastic thinking wife knows her ****.. NOT! :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey SI bro since you gots to get rotors. The mopar ones are not expensive. Actually they are 45 dollars each. so go ahead and make sure im right.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
$60/per rotor at my dealer. I have to get rotors and pads as well,. just don't have the cashola right now.

I've been looking around and I found aftermarket rotors for half the price, so I may get those.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buschman, mate, I cant tell a joke right if ya promised me a millon bux! :)

Well I think I am going to get the drilled out variety, I called a mate and he is going to get them for me while I am at work.. Sorry Wutang, I just am awfully hard on my brakes and want to make sure that I get a rotor that is 100% capable of keeping up with the braking.

LHSer, Hopefully yours is not as bad as mine
mate :( These cars eat rotors! :(

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Warlord, you *****-whore! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just took the plunge and ordered the stillen kit.. We'll see how they are.

My buddy just did brakes on his shadow... $9 a rotor can you believe that? :eek:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
have you even asked if you could get the rotors turned at your local car shop? I had that done, and all was good. (backs of the rotors were all bad and ****)
if you get them turned, knock any rust or corrosion off the non braking surfaces first... otherwise they might not cut straight.. and thats not good.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you are eating brakes as bad as you say check out your callipers. see how easy they compress when you compress them. They should have only slight resistance (Should not have to crank on compressor. If thay hang up you will really eat your pads and rotors. I still have about 45 percent on my fronts after 31,000 of my miles (very hard driving, but smart braking) and who knows how many of the other 57,000 on them. I turned the rotors once in that time because I started to have a slight pulsation. I let someone else drive. I have heard that these LH cars occasionally have sticky callipers though.

Oh and I got your joke.

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: jnutz ]

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wildcat, Oh how I loved my Shadow, cheap ass Parts! :)

Well here is a picture of how ****ed my rotors where, and there is about 2mm of meat left on the pads.... Probably to much of many peoples dispointment I just could not wait to get the Drilled out rotors , I would
of had to of ordered them, Sorry Wutang... So I bought some performance ones from my local shop in town, the homeboy there has a Trep and said he hasnt had no problems with the rotors, I shop alot there so I dont
think he would lie to me.

I put them all on, she is like new now..

Thanks all for your input, jnutz, you may have shed light on my friends Neon, he changes rotors and gets pulsation soon after... cheers! :) I learn something
everyday :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts