·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

No '06 Crossfires
Chrysler says existing stock is sufficient, promises '07 model

By MARY CONNELLY | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 05/08/06, 12:29 am et

DETROIT - Don't look for a 2006 Chrysler Crossfire on U.S. dealership lots.

With 2005 Crossfires still backed up on dealer lots, the Chrysler group will not import a 2006 Crossfire into the United States. Dealers have plenty of 2005 models left, says Eric Ridenour, Chrysler group COO.

"We have sufficient stock," Ridenour told Automotive News.

The lack of a 2006 Crossfire here doesn't signal the demise of the car, he says. The company is selling 2006 models in western Europe, he says. And Chrysler expects to offer a 2007 model in the United States.

Chrysler moved 2,709 units last month, up from 523 in March. In the first four months of 2006 sales totaled 4,103 units, down 6.3 percent from the same period of 2005. Because of the high April sales, the supply of Crossfires fell from 104 days on April 1 to 16 days on May 1.

When the rear-wheel-drive sports car debuted in 2003, the Crossfire was conceived as a halo car for the Chrysler brand.

It is assembled by Karmann in Osnabruck, Germany.

In December, Chrysler offered discount coupons for the 2005 Crossfire at Overstock.com, an online outlet shopping site.

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As far as roadsters go, I love the Crossfire. Problem is, people like me who love the car can't afford (or more like, can't justify the reasons) to buy that kind of car. I would compare it to the GTO, but that would be a disservice to the Crossfire cause the GTO is universally accepted as being an ugly car.

I think if they re-did the car and went after the lower price-point roadsters like the Miata, they might have a better chance of selling them. Either that, or go the expensive 50K+ route and make it really bad-ass.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
The GTO ain't ugly.

No more missfires? Like they'll be missed anyway.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
As far as roadsters go, I love the Crossfire. Problem is, people like me who love the car can't afford (or more like, can't justify the reasons) to buy that kind of car. I would compare it to the GTO, but that would be a disservice to the Crossfire cause the GTO is universally accepted as being an ugly car.

I think if they re-did the car and went after the lower price-point roadsters like the Miata, they might have a better chance of selling them. Either that, or go the expensive 50K+ route and make it really bad-ass.
HAHAHA, agree ;)

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

Same ballpark price I'd take an S2000 over the Crossfire. Crossfire is one of those cars that I thought looked great in pictures but when I actually saw one on the street it was like blah

·
Registered
851 Posts
I would compare it to the GTO, but that would be a disservice to the Crossfire cause the GTO is universally accepted as being an ugly car.
I think the GTO exterior looks nice, subtle, not all winged out and gawdy looking. the inerior is sweet ive sat in one. The seats and gauges kick ass.
400 hp sbc i dont have to see more. . i like mopar but the crossfire is the pretty boy car and would be embarassed by a Goat...

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
alderran said:
Same ballpark price I'd take an S2000 over the Crossfire. Crossfire is one of those cars that I thought looked great in pictures but when I actually saw one on the street it was like blah
I like the Crossfire, probably better than the S2000, and like others have said, if I had the $$ I'd probably buy one, then go on a diet so I could fit into it. They're pretty tight inside! Price is the issue for me, as well as the power thing. Yeah, the regular Crossfire is nice, but after driving an STR-6 last year , I'm hooked on the high-end (read: $$'s!) model! It moves pretty well, and handling is EXCELLENT!

DodgeyAussie said:
The GTO ain't ugly.
Yes...yes, it is. :biggrin:

·
Registered
347 Posts
alderran said:
Crossfire is one of those cars that I thought looked great in pictures but when I actually saw one on the street it was like blah
I agree with you there.
The lines and proportions of the car would have been great on a bigger car like a sport coupe or similar. But not a tiny roadster. And they look much much bigger in pictures compared to when you actually see them :)
Other roadsters like BMW, Honda and Audi seem to have the proportions just right.

Anyway, the price tag is way too steep for me to even bother with it hehe.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I think the Crossfire is a beautiful car from the exterior. I'm not a fan of the interior, I think the materials they use feel cheap and with the cheap feel it gives me the impression that it's not put together all that great.

The GTO is an ugly car from the exterior......I'm sure the interior can't be as bad. Wait a min, it's a GM.......the interior MIGHT be as bad ;)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I read somewhere that Karmann was suing Chrysler over the 'below volume' sales performance of the Crossfire.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I like the looks of the Crossfire just fine. I'm too tall to fit in them comfortably. They also have some serious blind spots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts