DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this just happened today, HOW RUDE lol, my daytime running lights come on
my high beams come on, but i have no low beam or foglights, i checked the fuses in the car and there ok, i switched the bulbs and i get the same thing.
i think its the switch cause i don't get the green light on the switch come on anymore but why would it take out my headlights to? cause high beam still works

odd car LOL, it has mood swings

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
It's the multi-function switch ( the turn, wipers, and highbeams) that have gone bad. Mine did the same thing. For some reason the switch always goes in these cars. Well here's a How-To on it:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

These vehicles use a multi-function switch (also called a combination switch) to control a variety of tasks. This switch contains the electrical circuitry for the turn signals, the hazard warning switch, headlamp beam select switch, headlamp optical horn, windshield wiper switch, pulse wipe and windshield washer switching.

This integrated switch assembly is mounted to the left side of the steering column. Should any function of the switch fail, the entire switch assembly must be replaced.

Disconnect negative battery cable.

Tilt the steering column up and remove six screws holding the lower column shroud.

Tilt the steering column down and remove the upper column shroud.

Tilt the column up and remove the tilt lever.

Using a flat bladed tool in place of the lever, tilt the column down.

Remove the two mounting screws on the switch, then remove the switch from the column, disconnecting the two electrical wiring harness.

To install:

Install the switch to the column and secure using the mounting screws. Tighten the combination switch-to-column mounting screws to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).

Install the upper and the lower steering column shrouds tightening the retainers to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).

Install the tilt lever.

Connect the negative battery cable. Check all functions of the combination switch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hold on a sec, my wipers turn signals and high beams work, its my low beam and fog lights that don't work, so im thinking its the actual light switch ( for park lights, head lights and fog lights ) park lights work just no head lights of fog lights

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yes, I know that, but the power for the low beam's goes through the multi switch. When mine went out, everything worked, the turn, park, wipers, and high beams, just like you. But the contacts had worn out on the inside of the multi switch. You can also do a search on the same problem too.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yes, I know that, but the power for the low beam's goes through the multi switch. When mine went out, everything worked, the turn, park, wipers, and high beams, just like you. But the contacts had worn out on the inside of the multi switch that send power for the low beams. You can also do a search on the same problem too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crap, this really sucks LOL how much are those switches? Chrysler os wreckers?

OHHH u know what my high beam switch thingy it really hard to use u have to really tug on it to put the high beams on, so i think your right, kill two birds with one stone. YOU ROCK thanks man

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I payed $75 for mine at the Dealer. See the reason it's hard the use the high beams, is because the contacts become worn and then it shorts out, and melts the plastic inside the switch. Mine started to smoke alittle just before the lights went. Alot of us here have had the same problem with the multi switches failing. Just another cheap part.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its still weird that the fog lights don't work either, well ill go there on monday and get a new arm, I want my lights LOL those daytime lights SUCK at night

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its still weird that the fog lights don't work either, well ill go there on monday and get a new arm, I want my lights LOL those daytime lights SUCK at night

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Well, power for the headlights runs through the multi switch first before it goes the the low beam and fog part the switch on the dash. Thats how the flash-to pass works with the switch on the dash off. Well post your results to us !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't thank you enough for your help, but THANK YOU THANK YOU :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys my lights are fixed, went to the wrecker to get a switch thing cause my local dealer wanted $250 NO THANKS, i paid $50 at the wrecker, put in with in 20 mins and boom, Head lights and fog lights LOL, THANK you guys for your help BIG time

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
$250 !!!! Man, that dealer's ripping people off. I only payed $ 75 for a new one at my dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, its the canadian thing to do LMAO i might just get one off the net if i can find it from the US somewhere lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts