DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello folks I am having troubles with my intrepid.....when i am driving i have heat but when im sitting in the drive through its cold as ice.the car is not overheating or nothing and i think its kinda wierd

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Do you get heat if you were in park or neutral and hit rev the engine?

As in, does the heat come when the engine rpm's climb or does it only come when the car is actually moving?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello

well when im sitting i rev the engie to like 2 and a half then thats when the heat start comming out.or when im driving it comes on. i hope its jus the coolant cause its not overheating or nothing

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Intrepa said:
well when im sitting i rev the engie to like 2 and a half then thats when the heat start comming out.or when im driving it comes on. i hope its jus the coolant cause its not overheating or nothing
I ask simply because I had a similar situation back in the day with another car. no coolant was really hitting the heater core to provide me heat until I rev the engine some, whether it be from actual driving or sitting in neutral and hitting the gas pedal. During idle, the water pump wasn't pumping hard enough to provide me with heat. This was easily fixed by adding in more antifreeze/water.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok

so its not the waterpump then huh.it was leakin at first but no leaks but sometimes i can smell the radiator

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Well, if you are leaking or were leaking, it's a pretty safe bet then that you just need to add more antifreeze/water to your system. I'd also keep an eye on your temp, though it sounds as if you already are.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Intrepa said:
so its not the waterpump then huh.it was leakin at first but no leaks but sometimes i can smell the radiator
If the water pump was leaking ,and you haven't fixed it, then it probably is still leaking, especially if you can smell antifreeze sometimes..(never seen one fix itself) While adding coolant may get you heat now a leaky water pump can be a very bad thing that needs to be fixed soon!!...What engine do you have?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

i think its the 2.7 but know they said the water pump was ok but it was leakin from the resvoir or something but it hasnt leaked in about a week

·
Registered
982 Posts
You might Double check where it was leaking... The water pump on the 2.7 will start to leak underneath the left (driver"s) side of the engine next to the thermostat (which is also under there) .. A lot of times it will leak for a little while then appear to "fix" itself , but the weep hole just gets plugged up and the leak just moves to inside the engine after a while...The first sign is you loose a little bit of coolant and then the heater stops getting hot...SO make sure that the leak was not at the weep hole and Keep a real close eye on the coolant level...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yeah, inconsistent heat output like this is typically due to low coolant and/or water pump output. At idle when pump pressure is at its lowest, if the coolant level isn't enough to bring it back to the heater core, you will get no heat. While driving, on the other hand, there's more pressure to force it thru the heater core IF the level is not too low.
I'm suprised the OP hasn't noticed any overheat issues as there has got to be air in the system.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
my friend had the same exact problem in his 2000 lincoln LS and we flushed out the heater core and now it works fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the dodge dealer flush the heater core and the radiator and fill it with fresh antifreeze. When they gave it back to me they said it was fine but I still don't get any heat unless the engine is turning 2500 or higher. I will take it back to the dealer in a week but I thought someone might know the problem.

Budman

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
impeller on the water pump,,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts