DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heat is hot at first, then gets cold right away. What gives? I'm also having problems with the car running hot. I'm in a 95 3.5L, is the water pump up front on the passenger side? Cuz i'm seeing some coolant steam from there, and i don't think its from overflow. Anyway what would cause me to not have heat now?

·
Registered
296 Posts
if you have heat for a minute when you first start the car then it gets cold you have a plugged heater core my car did this last year to me and what i did was unhook both heater hoses that go into the firewall and hooked a garden hose up and kept switching back and forth that way it would loosen up the crap inside the heater core and my heat has been working ever since
when i did flush the heater core i could see chunks of rust coming out with the water so i knew it was working
try that and you may have heat again then.

·
Registered
296 Posts
and about the waterpump on the 3.5 the water pump is driven by the timing belt so you won't be able to see the water i don't think
how many miles are on the car and has the waterpump ever been replaced?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you give me more detail about what you did to the heatercore? I know the hoses you are talking about. so i connect a garden hose to one of the 2 hoses and water comes out the other? Then switch hoses? Is that correct? Did you have to have a bucket or something for overflow?

·
Registered
296 Posts
yes that is correct just switch the hose back and forth that way it loosens it up more and no i did not have a bucket it will just run down and off the tranny it won't hurt anything

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
check the thermostat before you get into any of that. you can boil water with a thermometer and find out if it's opening at the proper temp. the water pump is in the center of the motor behind the cover. if you're seeing steam from the passenger side it's from the overflow dump hose that runs off the top of your coolant tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts