DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am driving a 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES with the Infinity System. My stock radio works perfectly, but I wanted to upgrade to the Alpine 9857 for the iPod cable and to switch to a in dash XM player. My brother and I tried to install this and everything seemed to be working perfectly. It detected my iPod, picked up XM, able to pick up AM/FM stations and played cds, but when it did this, I got no sound what so ever.

Everything else works: Power, memory, etc, but I get no sound out of any of my speakers. I know the speakers themselves are fine, and we've checked the cables over and over and they seem to be fine. We tried everything we could think of with the ground since it comes up via a wire. We put them together and screwed them down a bunch of places without any success. Always the same. The only cable we do not have plugged in is a white cable that we THINK is for the cable that wraps around my antenna. If you know otherwise, please let me know. If this is the problem, what do I have to do?

We thought it was the head unit, but Best Buy insists it is something we did and is making me pay to have it checked since we installed it ourselves. If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know. If not, at least let me know your thoughts or anything I should try before I dish out the cash to Best Buy to get this thing working.

Also let me know if there is anything else you need to know, I will answer them to the best of my ability. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
655 Posts
hey man, i've seen that problem with alpine headunits way too many times. it's actually not a problem, but an extra protective feature that is built into almost every alpine now days.

ok it goes like this...if one of ur speaker wires or speakers is blown or shoring the system, Alpine will shut the sound off. What i've seen happening is that the speakers would work but after Alpine was installed it wouldnt produce any sound....that's why you have to find what's going on in ur speaker system because even one wire shortening somewhere will shut the sound off to the whole system.

last week a guy came in and I installed an Alpine for him...after I was done, there was no sound coming out of the thing....appeared to be left front speaker shortening (i disconnected the wires from that particular speaker) and the system was fully operational since then...

:gross_07: hope it helped ya bud.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If what you say about the alpine protection thing is true, then maybe its seeing the different ohm loads of the infinity speakers and shutting down to protect itself..
What kind of infinity system do you have in the car? Did you leave the amp hooked up?
Replace the interior speakers?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My Clarion unit had a feature similar to that. When I accidentally touched the wrong wires together it would just turn the sound off instead of damaging something. But...

I also think you should make sure your ohms are correct. Your stock system is going to be a different ohm than your aftermarket alpine unit.

Josiah

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Did you hook your remote turn on wire up to the one in the stock harness(blue I think)? If not, your sound is not making it past the stock amp. It shouldn't be a protect circuit problem unless you crossed wires because the output on ypur headunit isn't connected to the speakers, its connected to the input of the stock amp, which is high impedance not low. I'm 99% sure this is your problem. Most people with stock amps, me included, figure there is no point in hooking this wire up because we don't have a power antenna. I had the same problem when I put my alpine in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm...it is possible that it just might be my speakers. I'll be honest, I'm pretty inexperienced with putting in aftermarket radios, etc and the stock amp. I have no clue where to even look for my stock amp. It sounds like it's in my best interest to just let Best Buy look at it since they can do all that testing and I would have to have my brother with me to look at it. I am sure it's probably something pretty stupid either way, but with my inexperience, I'm sure I'd just mess it up even more.

I feel sort of stupid in a way, but really, all I care is to get this thing working. If I have to get a new amp, would anyone suggest a certain type? I plan on hooking up a set of subs later, but nothing too expensive since I just spend so much on my radio.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Read this post,this is your answer I bet,I just went through this with a Kenwood radio,I even called my little brother and bitched at him for selling me a junk radio :gun2:
then I got on the net and found this
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

Hooked up that blue wire in the harness to the power antenna on the radio and the sound about blew me out of the car,seems I had kept turning it up and forgot to turn it back down :shocked:

00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
Did you hook your remote turn on wire up to the one in the stock harness(blue I think)? If not, your sound is not making it past the stock amp. It shouldn't be a protect circuit problem unless you crossed wires because the output on ypur headunit isn't connected to the speakers, its connected to the input of the stock amp, which is high impedance not low. I'm 99% sure this is your problem. Most people with stock amps, me included, figure there is no point in hooking this wire up because we don't have a power antenna. I had the same problem when I put my alpine in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm...not sure how to hook it up exactly though because what was hooked up to my old radio was actually I think just a white plug, I could be wrong. I would have to double check everything because my brother did the wiring, though I have a bad feeling that I might have to rework a few things because I think my other was a goof and cut down the power antenna part on my cables if it's the cable on my wiring harness. It's fortunately not too expensive, but should make him pay for snipping that down if that's what I need.

I just sort of confused myself, but I better go. Bad storm. I saved that .pdf, perhaps I can talk to my brother tomorrow and go from there. See what he thinks. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me out. We simply didn't have the cable hooked up to power up the amp. It was one of those 'Dur' moments. Fortunately they didn't charge me anything cause they simply hooked the wires up and loaned me a screwdriver to fix things up. Hahaha. Just glad to have it working.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
655 Posts
wju2004 said:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me out. We simply didn't have the cable hooked up to power up the amp. It was one of those 'Dur' moments. Fortunately they didn't charge me anything cause they simply hooked the wires up and loaned me a screwdriver to fix things up. Hahaha. Just glad to have it working.

Thanks again.
ugh, i always assume ppl check and recheck the remote turn-on wire...oh well! glad its not the wiring!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts