DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum. Got a no start issue on a 2001 2.7. All of a sudden the car just clicks!!! Checked voltages at battery and when running at alternator and all meters correct. I found corrosion at the positive side terminal And cleaned it , and then it started!! Fine for a month then it did it again!!!! So i had it towed home and installed a new battery, it started fine for a week and then today , it did it again!!!!! Brand new battery meters 12.85 volts. But it just click, click , clicks!!!!! Any thoughts???? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
Remove negative and positive battery post cable terminals - completely remove any battery acid residue with baking soda and water paste. Rinse and dry, clean battery post ODs and cable terminal IDs to clean metal with a battery post cleaning brush tool.

Also disassemble the positive jump post (two nuts on the end of a threaded stud - need a wrench on both nuts), clean the three cable terminals with sandpaper, re-assemble, and tighten with wrenches on the two nuts. IMPORTANT: Remove the nut and top cable from the negative jump post before putting any wrenches on the positive jump post nuts to prevent sparks and possible damage or injury if a wrench should touch grounded metal while in contact with the positive jump post nuts.

Re-attach the cable to the negative jump post.

Very likely that will fix the problem. If not, make sure the nut attaching the large power cable to the starter is tight. If still a problem, your starter may need to be replaced.

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled on the positive cable going towards the starter (you cant see the starter at all) and it now starts. So i am pulling starter to see whats what!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I pulled on the positive cable going towards the starter (you cant see the starter at all) and it now starts. So i am pulling starter to see whats what!!! Thanks.
while you have the starter off, check the input terminal. These were bad about wearing at the solenoid contact point. While still working as a mechanic (now retired, but still do repairs at home). I repaired quite a few by brazeing material to the contact, saving my customers quite a few dollars verses a new starter. I now have found kits online that have the new contact and stud assembly at a very reasonable price. I am not a computer guru so don't know how to send pictures, and haven't bought a kit in quite a while so don't have part number. I'm sure you can google or check e-bay.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
while you have the starter off, check the input terminal. These were bad about wearing at the solenoid contact point. While still working as a mechanic (now retired, but still do repairs at home). I repaired quite a few by brazeing material to the contact, saving my customers quite a few dollars verses a new starter. I now have found kits online that have the new contact and stud assembly at a very reasonable price. I am not a computer guru so don't know how to send pictures, and haven't bought a kit in quite a while so don't have part number. I'm sure you can google or check e-bay.
This is the best deal on the starter solenoid contact kit - contains contacts and plunger for $15 (other kits that I've seen in the local auto parts stores cost more and leave out the plunger):

That could be the problem because when the contacts go bad, the starter will work for a few days or a week, and then suddenly only make a click noise when you turn the key to start, and then a few days later it will start working again - for a while.

There still is a possibility that the nut that attaches the main power cable to the starter (its solenoid) is loose, and it started working because you jerked on the cable. But - yes - it could need the solenoid contact kit. Very little else ever goes wrong with these Nippon Denso starters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I just replaced the starter!! I did notice the battery terminal was loose on the starter !!! Moved back and forth !!! Didnt know i could rebuild the starter like that. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts