1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess Its only 6 bucks shipped. Cant hurt to Try. I guess Ill be the Guinea pig and get a lil bit as soon as I get some more money in my Paypal (a week or two, Its been taking forever to transfer my money lately) Then Ill post wether it did the job or not.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
Thats what we need is someone to try this stuff and give a report on it,, let us know thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used Meguiars Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish (PlastX) from Schucks on my headlights, $7.49 for a 10 oz bottle. Worked great for me. This is the description.

"This easy-to-use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible clear plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar’s exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology (MDAT) remove light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. Special highly water resistant polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. Meguiars recommends applying PlastX with a High Tech Applicator Pad or Ultra Plush Super Terry and using an Ultra Plush Super Terry or Supreme Shine Microfiber for the final wipe-off."

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got it, used it like 10 minutes ago. It helped, but not nearly as clear as I would like. So PlastX here we come. Part of it is also all the moisture in my headlamps. Im probably gonna remove them today and polish the inside if I dont have to break any Glue to get into it. If the plastx doesnt do It My buddy said he bought a headlight buffer, Im guessing its Mothers cause he got it at wally world, so if all else fails Im calling Paco.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Vertigo_AK47 said:
Well got it, used it like 10 minutes ago. It helped, but not nearly as clear as I would like.
Bummer. I was hoping for a better report. I ordered some for my g/f's 98 Stratus ES, cuz her lights are like milk, with a hint of urine :grinyes: . I'll do a before and after shot of it, in case anyone is interested.

I also saw some stuff at WalMart, in a mylar bag for 20 bucks. Probably the same thing, if it's a one step process.

Then there is this guy..
http://www.mdwholesale.com/

Anyone used his stuff?

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Tell you what, my aunts Econoline van had this problem with the yellow headlights. A little plastix and some elbow grease and they were almost twice as clear as they were.

--Gorm

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Yeah, I kind of figured it would be something like that. I'll try this stuff, since I already bought it, but explore other possibilities if need be.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah it does help dont get me wrong, Mine just have alot of inside haze and it left the really really thick stuff still on there. I just got back from autozone with some Plast x so we'll see if itll work for my very far gone headlights.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Go to a Harley Davidson bike dealer. They sell swirl scratch treatment. It's like $4.95 a bottle. It works very well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am NOT a fan of GM but I have to say this: my mom has a 1998 Olds 88 and whatever they make the headlight lenses out of on that car, at the age of eight years the lenses are crystal clear and shiny. I had to buy new ones for my 96 Intrepid to get them clear. (Actually I replaced one where the housing had broken the mounting ears, and after putting the first one on the other one was so noticeably blech I ordered another for the other side.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
For the massive yellowing there are two thigns to try,

1. Sand paper
2. New headlights

These abrasive products aren't really going to work unless you only have minimal yellow or haze. I vouch for plastx, eliminated the haze on my Mom's Murano.

If you want a chemical that'll get rid of this stuff, try battery acid or something :)!

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Ok, I got the stuff, and applied it to the headlights of the '98 Stratus. The driver side is pretty badly pitted along the upper area, and I didn't expect much. The passenger side was less, but still fogged. Here are the pix.

Before
Very hazy

After
Improved, but certainly not eliminated. Some spots have just too much damage.

Before
Note the inability to see the reflector corners.

After
Now you can easily see the reflector inside.

Now, I'll see how long it lasts. Even if it has to be reapplied monthly, there was enough in the container for many many applications.
The level of clarity should certainly improve night driving.
BTW, it actually looks better in person, than under the scrutiny of a close up, with flash.
Not a substitute for new lenses, but not bad for 6 bucks. :fun_08:

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't have that band of deeper clouding, like the other, which is actually rough to the touch. It's not as noticable in normal light. They both look reasonably good.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

It took 5 steps to get there and plenty of time (and a powerball mini)
1: Sand with 600 Grit (20 min, take your time get every spot of the light evenly)
2: Sand with 1500 Grit (20 min, take your time get every spot of the light evenly)
3: Polish with No. 7 Brand Polishing compound (I worked it with this compound for about 45 min)
4: Polish with Meguiars Plastix (20 min, take your time get every spot of the light evenly)
5: Put a coat of Wax on (20 min tops)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts