DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had some engine work done on my 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.5L. I had a broken rocker arm and had it fixed also replaced the struts and put new tires on the front. I took it in to get an oil change last week and now there is a tapping/knocking sound at accerlation after driving for awhile. It does not do this when car is in park or idling.

It almost sounds like hard plastic rattling. I am wondering if something is loose in the front end.

Any ideas? The engine work was done July 18, 2011. The noise only started 4 days after the oil change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well actually I would first ask what kind of oil was in the car previously and what did you put in it this time? As first guess is a lifter noise but if you went with conventional oil but have synthetic before... that is a no no unless the car had been properly flushed clean. next to that if you could make an audio file it would help alot more

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always used conventional oil in my car.. Found out the shop used 5w30 semi synthetic oil with out my knowledge.. Since then my regular mechanic drained it and we put the correct oil in there. I am wondering if it's a heat sheild or a tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
14,649 Posts
Doubt if its a heat shield or a tensioner pulley, you had the rocker arm replaced, then an oil change an now some tapping. I wonder if the synthetic oil knocked loose some build up within the motor and blocked an oil passage in the head. Changing from dyno oil to synthetic oil generally doesn't effect a motor in this way, but is the noise still there? a video of the noise would help.

Late!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still making the noise but it's quieter.. does not do it at idle just on acceleration when car is in gear. I need to figure out how to make audio and add it on here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just frustrated at this point.. I replaced the struts and tie rod and put new tires on and had a 4 wheel alignment and now the noise after fixing the broken rocker arm...:(

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
It's very possible the bolt holding the rocker arm on has loosened up some or wasn't tightened properly. If an old bolt was reused this will happen. I would have a different mechanic pull the valve cover off and take a look. May need to be retorqued. You don't want that rocker coming arm while the motor is running...bad things tend to happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I told the garage that did the work that it was making a noise.. he told me to call him back if it continued so I think I will take it by there on my day off and let him figure it out.. I paid him $1700 and it's been less than a month since the work was done.. it's still under warranty for the repair so. I appreciate all the responses.. hard to be a women dealing with car repairs.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Don't feel bad, I know alot of men who aren't good with mechanics as well. Best thing to due is, if it's sounds fishy...it probably is. we are always here to give advise. Also, working on vehicles isn't hard so long as you go step by step with the work manuals. Patience is key when it comes to being a wrench turner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts