DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't crawled underneath yet but thought maybe somebody has had a similar problem. It sounds like it's in the area of the transmission mount. If you grab the intake plenum and shake the engine you can hear it a little bit but when you hit a bump it comes through loud and clear. The car is a 93 Intrepid with a 3.3. Some of you guys might remember me asking about a sooty smoking problem a while back. It turned out that it was the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What does it sound like? I have a rattling sound under mine, but its just the heat sheild on the 3rd catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
My tranny engine mount only made noise when I went in reverse, very loud knock.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
brun064 said:
What does it sound like? I have a rattling sound under mine, but its just the heat sheild on the 3rd catalytic converter.
That's what I thought about my car, so I ripped off the heat shield, turns out my cat was toast. You should make sure, a plugged up cat will mess up your EGR system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sounds isn't a rattle like a shield. It's more of a clunking sound like something banging on the floor board. It does it everytime I hit a bump. Funny thing is, you can hardly hear it from outside the vehicle. My wife was driving it around the yard and she could hear it fine. I only heard it faintly once or twice. I do have a sore knee now though from running alongside the car. The tranny mount seems to be sagging some but isn't broke. I just looked at it tonight after work. I only see three mounts...two one the engine and one on the back of the tranny.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Black94ES said:
My tranny engine mount only made noise when I went in reverse, very loud knock.
Could you describe the sound yours made when this happend? Maybe that is what is wrong with my car. I am getting a sort of rattling/grinding type noise. It happens like 1 out of every 6-10 times I put it in drive or reverse. It only does it right when I put it into gear. Stops after that.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Pimped3.3:

Mine wasn't a rattling or grinding.

I put my car in reverse and hit the gas, lightly, and there was one huge bang. You could feel it throughout the whole car.

If I just let my car go in reverse without touching the gas there was no sound.

Also make sure your cat is ok, sometimes a cat will only rattle at certain rpms, like mine did. Other than that, I don't know what would cause a rattle or a grinding sound.

My car right now is making a grinding sound, more like something in the car is slipping. My mechanic at my custom shop couldn't figure it out, so he took it to his bro who works at a chrysler dealership. They couldn't figure it out either, they're best guess is that my frame, or the sub-frame, was damaged in an accident a few months back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts