DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a sort of "clicking" when I turn the steering wheel but it only happens when I initially turn it. Any ideas of what the hell it is? I NEED TINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
First is it doing it when you are moving or standing still ? And if moving could be a CV joint. Also do you have wheel covers ? If so could be them that's making the noise.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oh God, it could be one of many different things. Anyone one or a combo of issues. Tierod ends to CV joints, then you have ball joints and links as well. Its also possible that the struts are doing it. Screw it. I'll give you $20 for your car if you drop it off here :evillaugh

But, really. I would take it in if your not confident it what your doing. You don't want it to pop one time and your wheel to fall off. Oh, talking about that. small chance that its the bearings to. Get it inspected and make a logical choice. Just remember we have a limited supply of Treps. So take care of yours :biggrinpa

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
CV joint is the first thing that comes to mind. When they are worn out, they make a clicking sound when turning and its got a sound all its own. I can't think of any other item that would make a similar noise.

J

·
0 Posts
I have same "click" noise when turning 3/4 right or left. According to my evaluation it sounds like strut tower, strut tower braces. I do need a new CV joint, it vibrates horribly when accelerating the car past 45 mph. No vibe past 80mph, so no big deal, as long as I keep the needle past 80. :)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
JE.Electronics said:
I have same "click" noise when turning 3/4 right or left. According to my evaluation it sounds like strut tower, strut tower braces. I do need a new CV joint, it vibrates horribly when accelerating the car past 45 mph. No vibe past 80mph, so no big deal, as long as I keep the needle past 80. :)
KNow what, it still isn't clear whether the poster has this noise sitting still or while moving. If its clicking noise while the car is moving, then I stick with cv joint. If its just a click in the steering while sitting still, then that changes things considerably. JE's idea of struts has potential, although not the tower or the brace. I was thinking the bearing plate for the strut, eventually they wear out. Also, the steering racks on these do make some noise. Mine always has, as did the rack on my wife's sebring and the rack on the '98 caravan we used to have. Seemed like it would make a clunk when turning it with the engine off. Never any alignment issues with any of the three of those vehicles either.

Other potential suspects: inner tie rod bushings, outer tie rod ends, sway bar end links, ball joints, control arms/bushings, wheel bearings.

J

·
0 Posts
Yes, bearing plate for the strut.
What is it exactly? The plate on which the strut butts-up against?
That's what I meant to describe, but I don't know the names.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts