DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 plymouth voyager 2.5L 135,000 miles. Picked it up as a work vehicle this spring. To my suprise the AC still worked. I've never seen a chrysler product go more than 5 years without the AC failing, so either someone put money into the AC or this is a one in a million mini vans. Anyways.....you can tell the AC is not quite as cold as she should be (I think it just needs a charge). I'm making the assumption that it has R12 still in the system (basically assuming no one has converted it to R134). Instead of paying out of my ass illegally for R12, I see you can buy the product Freeze12. They advertise this as a replacement for R12 that does not harm the environment and you don't need a liscense to purchase, and is approved by the EPA. You don't need to vaccum out everything out of the system, it is compatible with the existing oil, simply remove the old R12. You can buy the complete kit of something like 3 cans of freeze12, oil and the hoses to get the stuff into the system for like $55. This seems reasonable. My question is, is this a scam, or will this stuff work just as good as R12?

·
Registered
576 Posts
freeze 12 is a R134a blend that uses R124 to carry the old mineral oil through out the system. It works, but has limitations. One is that R-134a is less efficient than R-12 and operats with higher pressures. Also if you do have a leak that means that one part of the freeze 12 blend will leak out fast than the other creating an unbalanced blend.

There are other alternatives...but they involve putting propane and butane in the A/C system. They are much more efficient than R12, but are illegal and are flammable. Anyways those products are Envirosafe and Duracool to name a few.

try searching on www.aircondition.com to get A/C tech opinions of the two

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it is Working I would not mess with the System/ I did A/C work for about 5 Years, once you open the system it seems they are more likely to leak. I have used alot of the drop in replacements (hot Shot, freeze it) they seemed to work fine. If you want to know if it is 134A look and see if it has the 134 Adapters. the Average person probablly wouldnt be able to charge the system with out Adapters. Im a=not an expert but I can answer simple questions. have a good one, Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts