DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ugh.. A new car or no?

Ok... so my dad and I are driving around this dealership looking for Chargers. We see a couple of second gens, and a 300M that were for sale. Out of our price range, plus we are just looking around for the fun of it. Anyways, we pull around a corner of a row of rams, and there she is. A beautiful 3.5L 24 valve 97 Dodge Intrepid ES with 95,000 miles on it.. Not only that, but it had autostick, traction control, SUNROOF, cd player, message center, and power seats. All the things I didnt have... Exact same year as mine, and it had the same upper dark purple coat, but this was two tone with a gray bottom. Sport wheels on it too. Beautiful car. So this guy comes out to talk to us, and he's saying all the sweet stuff on it. He starts it up, sounds beautiful. He gets done with his little talk, and he tells us the price. I'm expecting like 6-8000. Anyways, its going for 4995! I'm soo mad, cause I can get over 5 for my 97 3.3! Damnit! What do you think? Should I try for it, or does it seem too cheap?

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think theres some hidden issue? My dad is worried cause its at almost 100,000 miles so its nearing time for new tranny.. What do you think? My mom (HUGE SURPRISE!!!) is really into it! Shes like "Well, what are you gonna do? Call the dealership tomorrow." I was blown away when she said that...

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also, is there any other advantages to the 3.5, like better fuel economy, and how much torque increase is there? Is the 3.5 more reliable, or are there more aftermarket parts. What about spark plug changes, are they as freaking easy as on the 3.3?

-Brandon

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
skandalon said:
At 95,000 miles you are only 5,000 miles away from changing the timing belt, and water pump. I actually think the price is a little high. I'd try to talk them down.
Very good point.

If you were expecting 6-8000, you need to learn how to bargain better. I wouldn't pay more than $3500 for that car on a good day.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
trade your current 97 in on it. Go for it. Im trying to spark up the same deal here. But my 3.3 even though it has TRAC !!!! it dont work in limp mode.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, my 97 is perfect. No gear slipping, perfect body, no rust, engine runs and starts perfectly. No problems, it just doesnt have **** on it. Also it only has 58,000 miles, a little more then half what the ES has). I didnt know that car was only worth 3500, I thought that was a hell of a deal as is.

My car's KBB retail is $5705, and trade in value is in the $3500 range.

The ES's KBB retail is $6200. It did have some scratches (The face of the stereo was scratched, and the paint was smeared a little in the front like it scraped something. Also the side paint on the black part of the window was scratched a little. The wheels had extremely minor rust spots starting on it. Other then that the car looked awesome. I didn't really like the colors, but I could live with them for what I would get out of it. Performance = happiness. 35+ more horsepower right? The 3.5 has 210?

-Brandon

·
Registered
422 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
Yea, my 97 is perfect. No gear slipping, perfect body, no rust, engine runs and starts perfectly. No problems, it just doesnt have **** on it. Also it only has 58,000 miles, a little more then half what the ES has). I didnt know that car was only worth 3500, I thought that was a hell of a deal as is.

My car's KBB retail is $5705, and trade in value is in the $3500 range.

The ES's KBB retail is $6200. It did have some scratches (The face of the stereo was scratched, and the paint was smeared a little in the front like it scraped something. Also the side paint on the black part of the window was scratched a little. The wheels had extremely minor rust spots starting on it. Other then that the car looked awesome. I didn't really like the colors, but I could live with them for what I would get out of it. Performance = happiness. 35+ more horsepower right? The 3.5 has 210?

-Brandon
Edit - 1st Gen 3.5L Horsepower: 214 @ 5850 rpm
Torque: 221 ft-lbs @ 3100 rpm

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
True resale values on Intrepids are lower than book, just a fact of life because they're a dime a dozen. I had a '97 3.5L A/S and I believe it was rated at 212 hp. Ran like a champ!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seriously, main things I really want are the sunroof, 3.5L, and the autostick. I can live without the rest. God, I can't tell you how much I want that ****ing car!!!! My dad says he's "thinking about it."

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait.. Autotrader has 98's and 99's going for under $5000. I would like a second gen much better but.. Then we get into so many different problems...

-Brandon

·
Registered
342 Posts
i paid $5200 for my sport, but it doesnt have the moonroof, trac, abs, leather, atc, rke, or pretty much anything other than the 3.5 and autostick... but it only had 49000 miles on it though

·
Registered
689 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
Also, is there any other advantages to the 3.5, like better fuel economy, and how much torque increase is there? Is the 3.5 more reliable, or are there more aftermarket parts. What about spark plug changes, are they as freaking easy as on the 3.3?

-Brandon
The 3.5 doesn't exactly guzzle gas, but it's not as good as the 3.3. I tend to get roughly 20mpg in the city, and 28 on the highway (which is about 2 better than the EPA suggests). However, the cost also increases, as the 3.5 (at least on the 95, perhaps a 97 is different) needs midgrade fuel (it'll run on regular, but it's rougher, and it gets worse fuel economy). It does preform noticably better, numerically at least (I've only had my car out to the drag strip once, but I ran a 16.7, with a poor launch). It's been reliable for me, but I don't think it's overall any better than the 3.3 (and of course, it's harder on the transmission). I don't think there's really any more aftermarket. The '97 Prowler had the same 3.5 as the Intrepid, meaning there are parts that are compatible with the engine, but won't fit into our engine bays. As for the spark plug changes, they're pretty easy, but probably not quite as easy as the 3.3. You need an extender or two to reach the spark plugs. Other than that, it's easy enough, there's nothing getting in the way at least.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not getting this car. Not nearly as good a deal as I thought... Plus, I would miss having like a foot of excess room to work with on either side of my engine. As much as I would like the extra horsepower... Plus, my car is purely beautiful, with only one or two minor imperfections in the body. That car's colors were an ugly combo, and it had multiple imperfections in the body and paint. Plus, as my dad said, we know how our car runs and was taken care of (The lady we bought it from gave us every service record its ever had), and we dont know how the ES was taken care of.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gary680 said:
i think you should get a 98 base model 2.7L

(edit: i'm allowed to make fun of this car because my mom had one and it **** the bed at only 60k miles)

You may be making fun of it, but I would love a 2.7L. Tons of room to work, and still has 200 horsepower. Plus its a second gen! I want a second gen soo bad.

-Brandon

1 - 20 of 40 Posts