DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did a quick search but didn't really find what I was looking for.

What do bubbles on the transmission dipstick mean? Last week I took my car on a trip to South Carolina (1800 total miles...the car ran fine the whole way). Anyways, I let it sit for a week afterwards and when I got in it yesterday to move it it went into reverse once (out of the driveway) into drive once(to the side of the street) and then wouldn't shift into reverse or drive. I sat there for a minute or so shifting back and fourth and finally it kicked in. Now it seems to shift ok (haven't taken it out of second, though) but there's a horrible banging sound that seems to be coming from the back-half of the car and tiny bubbles in the fluid. There are no metal shavings and the fluid doesn't seem burned.

HELP!

1995 LHS 3.5L

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright, I had time today to warm the car up and lo and behold the fluid was a bit low (maybe off by 1/2 a quart) so I filled her up. It seems to be shifting fine now, but I still have a very soft banging sound coming from the front of the car (I said rear earlier, I was wrong). The banging speeds up and slows down as the car does.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't think I have bubbles anymore...the first time I might have mistaken some worn spots on the dipstick for tiny bubbles. Figures, by the day I was having I could see myself doing something stupid like that. Thanks for all of your help, guys.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
95LHS said:
but I still have a very soft banging sound coming from the front of the car (I said rear earlier, I was wrong). The banging speeds up and slows down as the car does.

Since it's damn near impossible to diagnose sounds over the internet, the 3 things i can think of, without of course actually hearing the noise:

Screw or other foreign object in tire

CV joints

Low Engine Oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.