DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone walk me through the process of using the 7999 cam alignment tool? I've had this car down for over a year now and have tried a few things when I've had time to mess with it. The cam sprockets were removed to replace the seals and I'm sure the timing is off. I'm starting over and I currently have the timing belt off and the valve covers off. Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,418 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is very frustrating. When I turn the crankshaft to get the #1 piston at TDC, the mark on the crankshaft gear is not anywhere close to lining up with the TDC mark on the housing. How can it be so far off?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,829 Posts
Got the right cylinder? #1 is the front passenger side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct, I was actually looking at the wrong one. That's what I get for using a YouTube video. Now, I'm just back to the original problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to hear that your car's been down so long. Must be frustrating. I had a 93 Intrepid with a 3.5 and a 97 Intrepid with 3.5. I did timing belt water pump jobs on both of them. I had to replace the cam sprocket on one, but from what I can remember it was a factory key slot so the cam sprocket could only install in one position. I installed the sprocket and pointed the marks on both cam sprockets towards the left side mark above. That was to keep them within the 2 marks above when I released the the tensioner against the timing belt. I don't see why you need the cam alignment tool. In my understanding each cam goes through one revolution during the igniting of the fuel air mixture in all 6 cylinders. As long as the lobes on your cams are okay, your cams and cam sprockets should work just fine. After timing belt install, the check is the 2 cam sprockets line up between the 2 marks above after you turn the crank 2 revolutions. Best of luck, Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts