DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I use my Zen Jukebox running through a cassette adapter for all my music.

Blew the right door speaker during either Offspring - Gotta Keep 'Em Seperated or Metallica - Fuel (part of my interstate driving playlist).

My 98 SE with non-premium speakers - which I bought with 3 miles on it and was totalled by a non-licensed driver last month with 243,800 miles on it...never had a problem.

The 98 ES Intrepid I replaced it with has the premium system and blew a door speaker within 3 weeks - don't know if it's the amplification difference - maybe the premium systems amp is too much for the speakers? I know relatively little about audio.

Back in the day - when purchasing home stereo equipment - I merely made one request of the sales person - what size speakers do I need that the stereo/amp can't blow. Of course, I ended up with large home speakers - but also never worried about blowing them.

So, the novice questions

1 - do the mfgs not match the stereo with speakers that will handle their full power?

2 - what 6.5" speakers do I buy that WILL handle the system regardless of volume?

·
Registered
655 Posts
ayhab said:
1 - do the mfgs not match the stereo with speakers that will handle their full power?

2 - what 6.5" speakers do I buy that WILL handle the system regardless of volume?
1. it all depends on your sound package, im not too sure what non-infinity speakers can handle, but i heard there are 3 more different power amplifiers that u can get....

2. if you want to go quality sound, i'd go with infinity reference series, not that expensive, and produce better sound than some other speakers and wont blow. ofcourse you can go crazy and get RF's or Type R's....but in perfect world, any of the aftermarket speakers should have enough to stay above the amplification. (yes, even 20$ pair of Dual, thats what i have in my front doors for now :))

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
You can't buy a speaker that won't blow, cause I'd kill myself too if I had to be subjected to all that crappy music! HAha!!!!

I'm just playing. But yeah the answer really lies on what type of sound system you have cause I know some of not all of the Infinity speakers in that door there are 2 ohm and good luck trying to find an aftermarket 2 ohm door speaker.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
smc1377 said:
You can't buy a speaker that won't blow, cause I'd kill myself too if I had to be subjected to all that crappy music! HAha!!!!

I'm just playing. But yeah the answer really lies on what type of sound system you have cause I know some of not all of the Infinity speakers in that door there are 2 ohm and good luck trying to find an aftermarket 2 ohm door speaker.
Infinity and Image Dynamics, someone was lookin for em last week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.