DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn the key and nothing, WTF? Hold key on and it eventually starts--no sounds--just silence then eventually it "catches", turns over and starts---any ideas? thanks for any help...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A few things. Check all your battery connections, and the connections at the starter. I believe there is a starter relay, check that, and if there's another relay just like, try swapping relays and see if that changes things. Also, there is a switch in the tranny that the computer monitors. They used to be called a neutral start switch and I forgot what the the new ones are called (shift range sensor?). If the shifter isn't completely in park or neutral, the pcm will not allow the starter to engage. Also, the contacts in the actual ignition switch in the steering column could be going bad.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i had the same problem before and cleaning the battery connections fixed it right up. Since the battery is down low in my 00 r/t the connections were always getting dirty. Hope that helps.

Tom

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, this problem just kind of went away...Now, there's a new one--the other day I started it, turned on the radio-radio blips off and now doesnt work and the door locks and trunk dont work, WTF? I checked the fuses and they arent blown-I couldnt find a relay carrying these particular things. The only other thing I know it could be is the power door lock circuit breaker-could this also cause the radio and trunk not to work-please help if you can, Im sick of riding 40 miles a day with no tunes! :icon_cry:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The power door locks are on a circuit that has constant power, battery power, not switched power like the radio. The trunk button is also on battery power BUT, unlike the locks, the trunk switch does not operate unless the car is in park. So I think the BCM has something to do with operation of the trunk release. the locks also tie into the bcm because of the auto-lock feature (and keyless entry if you have it). I don't think the radio ties into the bcm at all. then again, some models came with steering wheel controls so perhaps it does connect up thru the bcm.

If all three items went at the same time, then its logical to figure the same problem affected all three. If that were true, you can eliminate the ignition switch since it has no effect on door locks and trunk release, only the radio (of the three items) is controlled by the key. The BCM is one thing that comes to mind as well as fuses. If all three share a common ground then that also is a likely culprit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Check the two wires to the NEG post under the hood. Make sure both nuts are tight. (there is one under the other). If the top one is tight and the bottom one is loose or corroded it causes an intermitent contat and that can throw the electrics into lala land.

Remeber, always start simple, look for the obvious, like dirty bat terminals and post and the NEG post. Then once your sure you have good power, then go for other possibilities

·
Registered
9 Posts
See my post called "ASD relay - no start" a little bit down the page. I had problems with starting just like yours. As of right now it appears to be the negative cable on the shock tower. Not the top on, but the bottom wire was loose. Nut appeared tight, but the wire was loose.

Also, after if tightened the wire last night, I tried to start the car. It would turn over, but the battery was shot (new one brought today and will be installed tonight). But when the battery was down in power, the electrical systems were acting weird. Dash light on with key out of car, and I could hear electrical clicks in various places. Ended up taking the battery cable off until I can put in a new battery.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies guys, also another key thing that may help in yall's diagnosis :biglaugh: is that the horn gives a short honk when I turn the key on...just like it does when you reconnect the battery?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
these are some weird ass cars, all those problems were caused by the 10 amp fuse marked "interior lights", makes no damn sense :behead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts