DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well today i decided to "clean my engine" just a little mainly the plenum and valve covers. well while hoseing it down must have killed one of my 02 sensors my main problem is not changing them but well yeah it is.

i understand there in the exaust mainifolds and that the pass side is easier. ok i got that part. i took the trep to the store and it seemed like it was missing. i dont know if thats from the o2 sensor or me pulling 2 of my plugs to check them (bosch plat 4's 6 months still going great) anyway i seen that botsch o2 sensors are like 70 a pop. me no job cannot get this right now.

what will happen if the car is driven bad performance ? is that it will i break something ? i knew i shuldnt have went outside to clean the 3.3 i just knew it. god damn post your clean engine thread. but i must say i have this orange brite stuff and it did clean the plenum and valve covers remarkably. but i killed one of the o2 sensors or both :(

·
9,861 Posts
The key is to always disconnect your battery when ever you are cleaning under the hood. Do not reconnect the battery until everything is dry.

Sometimes you will get lucky, and the code will go away after a reset, once everything is dry.

There shouldn't be any issue with driving the car with bad o2 sensors. Just don't expect very good gas mileage. Also, I wouldn't be driving it like a race car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Uhm....driving without the O2 sensors managing the air fuel mixture will cause the engine to run rich permanently.
And this will cause the cathalytic converter to heat up , go bad and cause a fire hazard.
A friend of mine killed a catalytic converter in his 3.5 L Intrepid.
It got so hot, the carpet began to smoke!!!

So better don´t drive long distances with broken o2 sensors.

Benny

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hmm but the 3.3 has half the valves. as soon i get the money it will be changed. wait. wait. well i dont know if it will work but i have 2 other exsaust manifolds could i try those sensors thats in them.. they came with my junkyard engine i used all my old 3.3 exaust stuff could the other ones work or should i just try and get new ones. there 41 bucks so in like a week ill be able to get it.

edit also how would i figure out what side it is ? i heard its a pain to do the drivers side but easy on the passanger. i would like to only get one and not 2. is there anyway to find out what side if both ?

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
oh and you should be able to pick up "universal" O2 sensors for like 20bucks.. they work jsut the same, thou the plug on the wire might be different.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:-\ oh yay tinkering with wire.... i think ill just try to luck up on these other stock one i have and then if not ill get new ones. i wont spray andthing on it. when we took the mainfold off the other engine it was with a air gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts