DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thx for the replies guys, I really appreciate it . I've bought a camshaft position sensor and am ready to change it, can anyone suggest an decent OBD 2 tool that'll clear the error codes once I'm done changing the part. Or, do I need something else to clear the error codes?

Thx again guys,
Charles
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
If you leave the battery disconnected for some time the codes will clear themselves. I want to say it's 15 minutes but it may be longer. Also, after a certain number of start cycles if the problem is gone the code will clear itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow muscle, mahalo for the quick reply! I was going by what the manual states. In regards to changing an emmisions part, that is to clear the codes unless the vehicle computer may still continue to register the same problem(s). Also, again according to the manual, it's states it's not recommended that the codes be cleared by way of battery disconnection. lol I'm no mechanic and was about to buy a $180.00 OBD tool :laughing: . Thx again muscle :)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'm not really sure why the manual would say not to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery. Maybe there is some reason for it but I can't really see one unless they want to ensure that you read all the codes before clearing them. Personally I have a scan tool, but I've always heard of most people clearing theirs by just disconnecting the battery. If it successfully clears your codes then I don't see any reason for you to buy a scan tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for all your guys/gals help!! I went ahead and changed the camshaft sensor, reset the codes and things are running okay :). I hope this solves the problems I've been having, I'll keep you guys posted.

ridingsc
AKA "Loco"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts