DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably sound like a broken record on the subject of weight, but did you guys know that the new Dart weighs only about 300 pounds less than an Intrepid, and 600 pounds more than a Neon? Also, the Challenger weighs roughly the same as a Charger. That is absurd. All of the LXs are over weight in my opinion, and I would love to know why the engineers are apparently not paying much attention to that detail. It seems to me that all of the engine advances are being wasted. The new 3.6 might be excellent, but in the Charger and 300 it is pushing at least 400 more pounds than the old 3.5 pushes in the LHs.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
That's a good observation. I never noticed that the Dart was so close to an Intrepid! However, most of the transmission found in the LX car's are a bit more efficient because they aren't FWD. That's why the 3.5 LX's don't seem so sluggish compared to an LH. Mind you a lot of people say the 3.5 LX's are slower than the LH.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
That's a good observation. I never noticed that the Dart was so close to an Intrepid! However, most of the transmission found in the LX car's are a bit more efficient because they aren't FWD. That's why the 3.5 LX's don't seem so sluggish compared to an LH. Mind you a lot of people say the 3.5 LX's are slower than the LH.
I know when Mike still had his popo he took on a 3.6 Charger and beat it. I personally blew a 2.7 Charger out of the water before my Special PCM swap and currently pace my brothers 2010 300 Limited with a 3.5

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Since were on the subject, the PT Cruiser is also 300 pound lighter than a 2nd gen Intrepid, has a 2.4L and still gets worse gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I know when Mike still had his popo he took on a 3.6 Charger and beat it. I personally blew a 2.7 Charger out of the water before my Special PCM swap and currently pace my brothers 2010 300 Limited with a 3.5

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
My guess is the 3.6L Charger was too afraid to mash the gas pedal. I've driven a number of 3.6L vehicles in the Chrysler line-up and, all I can really say is the 3.6L has a surprising amount of raw torque when firmly applied. I know I could kill a lot of Camaros and Mustangs with one.

I still am not ready to accept the 3.6L as a "Good" motor since we still replace lots of heads for valve issues. But, when you stomp down on one, you'll like the reply.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LH weight

There's not much you can do to reduce the weight of an LH other than take stuff off of it, but if you wanted to drive a stripped down car there was no point in buying an LH in the first place. An Intrepid weighs about 3400 pounds, which I don't think is bad for a car that size, and it may be that the LXs weigh more because they can come equipped with V8s. But it is ridiculous that a Dart would weigh only about 600 pounds less than a Charger. I wish someone could explain that logic to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts