DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a '96 Intrepid ES (3.5, 155K) for 1 of the kids, and while it drives great, it has a couple of issues.
The A/C won't hold a vacuum, and I expect that the evaporator is the culprit. I'm not going to worry about that.

Somewhere along the line (car only had 2 owners) some monkey put a toggle switch in the console to turn the heater/defroster fan on or off - no speed control - high speed only. Why in the world a person would go to all the effort to do the fix wrong when replacing the climate control is plug and play baffles me. All too common tho.

And finally, the radio / amplifier. Infinity system, cassette / CD ready (but not installed). Radio lights up, tunes, moves tape, but no sound.
Crutchfield says they don't offer amp bypass harnesses for these systems, so I'm looking for ideas on that.
We had a '97 Concorde bought new that served us well, and our '01 Durango - also new (191K & counting) has been the most trouble free vehicle we've ever bought.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
1. Evap Cores are known for going out in these cars. Requires whole Dash removal to replace. At this point might as well R&R several of the other main a/c parts I.E. Reviver Dryer, Expansion valve, heater core.

2. Typically, when the blower only works on high the Blower Resistor is bad. If you buy a new one make sure to get one appropriate for your a/c head unit. (Manual control three rotating switches or Automatic lots of fancy buttons.) The automatic control head units are known to go bad for whatever reason. Junkyard sourcing is best fix.

3. Either the radio is bad or the Amp. I do know there were issues with people using aftermarket head units with the Infinity Amp? Personally with this I would keep it stock except newer speakers (personally newer Infinities of course) and maybe add small sub woofer. But you would have to run basically new wires to the speakers to bypass the amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts