Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: 01Intrepid

·
Registered
532 Posts
Informative article.
Scientific American is one of the best magazines in the universe!

-GB49

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
this should be sticky'd up!, :), Nice info!, So 300M Special Owners are using Premium fuel for nothing?, lol, or...?

·
Registered
407 Posts
luisa said:
this should be sticky'd up!, :), Nice info!, So 300M Special Owners are using Premium fuel for nothing?, lol, or...?
Probably the computer on the special has a more aggressive timing/fuel map. I know the 1st gen 3.5 originally had a 10.5:1 compression ratio and specified premium.

High-performance engines, such as those in some sports cars or older, heavier automobiles, often boast much higher compression ratios. These cars--for example, Shepherd's Subaru WRX--require premium gasoline and will definitely knock without it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOPs- This link was also in "Whatever"...another poster..

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
pddj steve said:
Probably the computer on the special has a more aggressive timing/fuel map. I know the 1st gen 3.5 originally had a 10.5:1 compression ratio and specified premium.

actually it wasnt premium that was specified, it was mid grade

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
luisa said:
Luis,

Please don't take this as an insult. If you read that article and came to that conclusion then you either

1. Skimmed it at the rate of three words per paragraph
2. Read only what other's wrote about it
3. Imagined something that was not there.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
With the advancement of direct injection gasoline engines, I wonder if that means we can safely use 87 in a higher performance 12:1 compression ratio engine.

·
MU Alum in da House
284 Posts
I use regular unleaded in my 3.5L and I see no difference in performance of MPG. I did use mid grade as recommended but I am a poor dude in West "by-God" Virginia so I cant afford the extra 10 cents. Doesn't hurt the engine does it? I dunno, hope not.....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
skotty4prez said:
I use regular unleaded in my 3.5L and I see no difference in performance of MPG. I did use mid grade as recommended but I am a poor dude in West "by-God" Virginia so I cant afford the extra 10 cents. Doesn't hurt the engine does it? I dunno, hope not.....
Running 87 octane will not harm it at all.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Speaking of high octane last night I had a dumb moment and accidently put $5 of 93 gas in the car instead of 87.......this isn't going to do any harm right?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
luisa said:
That is a priceless moment!,lol, What you think you had?, a 300M Special ECM?,lol j/k,
:bgking:
LOL, well all the gas stations I usually go to, the 87 was all the way on the left.....so by habit that's the one I chose, all the way to the left. It wasn't until I noticed the ratio between gallons in car and the price (the 87 was $1.99, so I knew I was supposed to get at least 2.5, but instead it was 2.27 something) when I realized that I got the 93. The car does seem to drive faster.....but maybe its just the same affect as placebo. In fact it is, I'm just hoping my wasted 60 cents did something positive! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.