DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emissions are really pissing me off....

So the check engine light was on in my step daughters car. The body is junk but it runs like a top (teal 96 Intrepid), has about 180K on it.

I had the car for a week, replaced cradle bushings, LCA and strut bushings, bought new tires and had it aligned. While I was at it I replaced the B1P2 O2 sensor and cleared the codes. Fast forward about 1500 miles and 3 weeks, the car has now been to emissions 3 times and won't pass because it says ODB NOt Ready, I have no clue what to do next.

Anyone have this trouble? Ideas are welcome

·
Registered
224 Posts
check an make sure all fuses are ok and check the data connector under the dash and make sure all the pins are tight and not removeable i had the problem in my truck and it turned out to be both

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuses huh, OK, I'll have to take a look.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
Ken,, I feel your pain, my old 2000 trep took 3 weeks to wake up out of that mode,, drive it is all I can say

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken,, I feel your pain, my old 2000 trep took 3 weeks to wake up out of that mode,, drive it is all I can say
She will keep driving it but it is dangerous because the plates are expired, its a catch 22. How can I tell when its ready so we don't take it back and fail?

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
only way is put a scanner on it

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If memory serves, thee was a flash update for the engine controller, (PCM) to fix this issue. If you have the controller number I can check this for you. Seems the OBDII counter was forgetting to log ignition counts so, even if you did manage to get all the monitors to run, you would lose them at the next key cycle. Basically starting over at every key cycle.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If memory serves, thee was a flash update for the engine controller, (PCM) to fix this issue. If you have the controller number I can check this for you. Seems the OBDII counter was forgetting to log ignition counts so, even if you did manage to get all the monitors to run, you would lose them at the next key cycle. Basically starting over at every key cycle.
What's the controller number? Is this on the ECM?

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
I think thats what he means Ken,

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can get it tomorrow when I am home again and post it. Any help would be appreciated. The car is needed to get her to and from work and school and right now the plates are expired.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The TSB I looked up was 18-005-01. for the 1996 LH Intrepid 3.5L

There are four controller numbers that all the others superceed to, and there are quite a number of them. All I can do at this point is give you info as you will need to have this PCM programmed to fix this issue.

The four updated numbers are:

In most cases I've seen, it is best to have the controller number read by a scan tool as the label on the outside is just the original number. If at any time the controller was updated there was a label that was supposed to be attached to the PCM and the body underhood. Many times the label for the PCM was neglected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts