DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used Meguir's 4 or 5 times before and had no problem. But this scared the hell out of me.

If you look closely, you can see pink spots. It was only in that area, which was the top of the front passenger door.
The next day, they were gone.

Anybody have a similar experience?

I know I should stop worrying because it was temporary, but even then...

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
We had something really weird like that happen on the Stratus. I had detailed for the sale pix I was putting into auto trader, and waxed with NXT. Two days later, it was covered, and I mean covered with these nasty white blotches, that looked like the clear was totally ruined. Freaked me right out. It was like that for a day, and then just went away, just as mysteriously as it came. I've never had anything like that happen before.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cgator said:
did you use a red rag...? i did that mistake once when i removed the pinstripes from mine i used a red rag with goo gone and it lft a pink smudge what a mess then it fades away
No, I went over it a number of times after I took the wax off to see if anything was there at all.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
cgator said:
did you use a red rag...? i did that mistake once when i removed the pinstripes from mine i used a red rag with goo gone and it lft a pink smudge what a mess then it fades away
I threw one of those in the wash with my micro fiber towels by mistake. Turned all the white ones pink

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
i had that happen to me once on my impala. i was using the wax and a buffer. at first i thought lost my mind. it left pinkish-red spots and white chips all over the car. i guess the wax has some sort of agent in it that has to settle. i too was using meguires wax.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
What kind of Meguiar's did you use?
I've used Meguiar's for about 10 years, and never had an issue like that, ever.

Fearless 2000 said:
I have been using that wax for many years now. I find this odd. Do you guys wash the car before waxing it??
Anybody who even puts up a serious answer to this, regardless the answer itself, just leave.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
LOUD02Special said:
What kind of Meguiar's did you use?
I've used Meguiar's for about 10 years, and never had an issue like that, ever.

Anybody who even puts up a serious answer to this, regardless the answer itself, just leave.
maybe its just in dark colored cars, its weather related or depends on what you used to wash the car before waxing it. i've been using Meguire's for a long while too and my impala which was a maroon or burgundy color was the only car i noticed this effect on. while i was buffing it off the car it seem as if the wax was trying to give the effect of vasoline but only on a car. i came back to find all of these pink-ish red spots and white chips all over the car (especially the hood which im thinking it has some sort of scratch agent or something that is reactive to temp. or something. idk) i finally gave up as i was tired of buffing and didnt want to go dig it back out of the closet again. when i noticed about 2 or 3 hours later the marks and chips werent even there.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
From what I have been told it's a weak area in the clear coat like tons of little holes in the clear coat and the wax fills them in. when the wax cures they disappear meaning the wax loses it's color and becomes clear. Be lucky though, I have air pockets in my clear coat on the driver side door around the window. When I waxed that part some how wax got inside and now the pockets are pink and white. I'm starting to think my car was repainted because the clear cost is very thin on my car. When I took off the dealer tag on the trunk it took the clear coat with it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Scar,

It could be that the previous owners weren't the best at keeping the car's finish protected. These spots could be etching from acid rain or bird poo, where the clear coat is actually slightly lower in some spots than in other spots. It's unlikely that these etchings would be in a concentrated area...unless the car was parked under a partial overhang where rainwater made its way to drip in the same exact spot over a long period of time...

Front passenger door... I don't want to place labels or anything...but a woman or wife would be more likely to use the passenger side. Rings, bracelets, and watches wreak havok on paint... If there were divots in the clear and they were polished by someone who knew what they were doing they'd go unnoticed...except when extra wax pools up in them.

Meg's and Mother's cleaner waxes are good stuff...but I think you'd actually be much happier with a wax that wasn't a cleaner wax. Right now you're dealing with extra fragrance additives and detergents. Great for a quick job but you'll notice if you get it on your black plastic pieces you've got white chalky streaks to deal with.

Have you considered trying a synthetic paint sealant? Do a search for Klasse All-In-One and Klasse Sealant Glaze. Also, I've heard good things about Opti-seal and Poli-Seal. These are good for damn near every surface on your car. So far I've got four months and about ten car washes on the work beater and the stuff still beads like I just put it on.

Not that I know anything for sure...I'm just going over possibilities while bored off my ass at work.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I've never seen that myself. I do use Meguiar's and Mother's cleaner waxes (Stoners too) but I always use Collinite Marquis D'Elegance (pure carnuba) to finish.

Don't use the cleaner waxes too much for all the obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Front passenger door atop of the window is the only place I've seen it happen to.

It disappears after a few hours and the 'chicken pox' is no more...I'll stick with Meguir's until I move, settle down, and get used to working again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts