DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm installing my new cluster and as with any other modification to any other cars of mine, I want to roll the odometer on the new cluster to the same mileage as on the old cluster. Odometer motor has 4 leads leading to a connector on the circuit board of the cluster. And I have no idea which is which or why there are 4. Anyone care to give me a hand?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Are you adding a/s, and that is why you are changing the cluster?

If so all you need to change is the mask/lense and the printed circuit board.

That is what I did when I added a/s, that why mileage is accurate. :icon_smil

·
Registered
424 Posts
you don't even have to use the motor. it's been a few years, but my spare cluster is set at 000000. You just adjust it by hand somehow. There is a gear on one side or the other of the numbers and I think you just rotate it. I think you have to take off the computer board off the back of the dials. Hope this helps. Atleast you know you can do it manualy. Good luck
-Taaf-

·
Registered
660 Posts
My guess is the motor is a stepper motor like used on the iac. This type of motor is very accurate and would work well for the odometer.

Don't know how it is really done but would guess the signal from the tranny speed sensor could be divided and used to pulse the input to a motor driver chip. Would only need to run the motor in one direction for an odometer.

If this is how it is done you could run the motor either up or down by triggering the right input to the IC.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't want to have to remove the cover and get dust inside (it looks like crap on the last car I did), but I guess removing the board lights and lens is a good idea. Anyone happen to have a tutorial on removing the cluster :) ?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll just try throwing a few volts at a time into the motor first, see if that doesn't make my life easier. Ironically I've had quite a few classes in EE/circuits and even have seen this 5553 IC before, but don't remember anything.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i've done it 2 different ways. YOU can pull it out and take the "speedo'" unit off and using a drill spin it up to match your old one. Or the easeier way, just take of the 4 T10 or T15 i forget screws and just swap the entire assemply, much easier and faster dpending on how different the mileages are

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
gr8crash said:
i've done it 2 different ways. YOU can pull it out and take the "speedo'" unit off and using a drill spin it up to match your old one. Or the easeier way, just take of the 4 T10 or T15 i forget screws and just swap the entire assemply, much easier and faster dpending on how different the mileages are
this is by far the easiest way..

hell i switched all the gauges in my autostick cluster cuz i didn't like the 97 style needles

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Veeb0rg said:
this is by far the easiest way..

hell i switched all the gauges in my autostick cluster cuz i didn't like the 97 style needles
97 has a different style of needle? That's news to me, I'm pretty sure I have an older Intrepid cluster that I put in my concorde because I have a red check engine light. Our 97 Intrepid has an amber check engine light.

As for the needles, I didn't notice any difference. I did notice a difference between my old Concorde needles and my Intrepid needles... the old Concorde gauges had an orange paint on the back of the clear needle and my Intrepid gauges have a transparent orange plastic needle without the paint.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
94_Concorde said:
97 has a different style of needle? That's news to me, I'm pretty sure I have an older Intrepid cluster that I put in my concorde because I have a red check engine light. Our 97 Intrepid has an amber check engine light.

As for the needles, I didn't notice any difference. I did notice a difference between my old Concorde needles and my Intrepid needles... the old Concorde gauges had an orange paint on the back of the clear needle and my Intrepid gauges have a transparent orange plastic needle without the paint.

yeah.. my 95 has the painted needles as well.. not sure of the 96's but the 97 autostick cluster had the orange plastic.. which i personally dont' like the look of..

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yup, I know someone who just bought a 94 Intrepid and the painted needles are faded almost to white. I think the temp or tach gauge still had some orange color to it. That's why I like my orange plastic ones.

I'm wondering what year my Intrepid gauges came out of then. Maybe a 96? Can anyone verify that a 96 has the orange plastic (not painted) gauge needles with a red check engine light?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Veeb0rg said:
you mean the painted ones fade..

the later version is actually Orange Plastic.. not clear with orange paint..
The ones in my Acclaim are plastic. and they are faded. I've seen both kinds faded, and both kinds not faded.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts