DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyyyy... I get a funny odor when I first start my AC or Heat.. It lasts for about 10 seconds and then it goes away.. Anyone eperience this problem or know what it could be?? Any elp would greatly be apreciated.. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmm, I get that as well.. I do not like it at all. I had the same problem with the first gen. I would also like an anwser to this.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
i had that prob too. what i did to get rid of it is i went to WalMart and got a set of those little air fresheners that slide onto the vents. they are very small, and not really noticeable. they do the trick of covering up the smell.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My uncle is a dodge mech and its from the evaporators drain being slightly blocked. it sorta gets all nasty in there and then you smell it lol

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yeah that would explain it.. is there a way to make the drain bigger?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hehe, when i blow my heater full blast it smells like aerosol from my manifold cover's spray paint :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so if its from the evaporator drain being clogged.. How do I take care of it? Unclog it? Where is the evaporator drain located? Is it a big job? Thanks again guys...

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
HUGE job. I replaced the evaporator in my '96 all on my own in the garage... the ENTIRE dash has to come off to get the A/C /heat unit out.. took me a full weekend to do it. People have suggested turning the A/C and Heat on Full blast from the outside air, and blast some lysol down the vent from the outside. this should kill all the stuff down there..... maybe.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lafrad,

Anything to watch out for when changing the evaporator. I gotta change mine someday before next summer.

I have replaced the heater on other cars, but never had the dash out of the trep. Anything you can suggest to make the job go a little quicker.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The lysol idea works for a very short time. You really need to take it to the dealer or take it to someone whos takin the dash apart. im scared of the air bags so i took it to my uncle whos a dodge mechanic.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn you guys are good.. Thanks for the info.. You know what, if it's that big of a job, I will just leave it and deal with the smell.. I mean, it's not a terrible stench that's unbearable so I will just deal with it.. :+)

·
Registered
144 Posts
What I have done is spray some Antibacterial Lysol on the front evaporator Rad thingy and it helps, plus before I shut off the car I put the vent system on vents ond let it blow 2 minutes before I shut off the car. It does appear to help. When I leave it on defrost or feet/defrost...thats when I gewt the smell the next day.

Hope it helps. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts