DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience installing these? The wrecker where I found one doesn't have the original harness but is talking about 5 spades in the connector. There was no compass feature in this particular mirror.

I would have thought that only power and ground connections would be required.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
There should be a wire for power, ground, and at least one that hooks into the reverse light switch to disable the dimming feature when you are backing up. I have no idea what the other two would be for. :confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Actually got one of the wires with my 98 wiring harness from my OTIS. There is three wires to it.

I will try to show them here....
___
_______
|-------|
| 1 2 3 |
---------

Looking at the front of the connector that goes into the mirror, tab at the top.

1 = Violet/Black = Back-up Lamp Feed
2 = Black/Green = Ground
3 = Blue/White = Fused Ignition Switch output.

All of these wires should be found on the A column on the left side of the car. Just pull of the plastic to access. Should be able to access running the wires across the roof via the console lights area.

Good Luck!

sURFN

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: sURFNmADNESS ]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'm having my windows tinted next week so I now no longer see the need.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
when I was grabbing my OTIS from the junk yard I had the autodimming mirror in my hand, then I decided I didnt need it since I had limotint all around my ride :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had an autodimming mirror in my Firebird and hated it. I couldn't tell how far people were behind me which is the reason I went with tint on this car.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by joekd:
is there a way to set the auto dim to default to the off setting? I manually turn mine off and everytime I start the car it goes back on again. I searched the owners manual and it shows no override to this.
I just checked tonight. If I turn the mirror off, the next time I start the car, it is still off. Wonder why yours comes back on??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Give the mirror a chance! I've noticed that even with tint the mirror still works, it's just less sensitve. I still appreciate it dimming sharply when a bozo has his high-beams on behind me. Would be nice if it was more sensitive.

For the '98 Intrepids there was a manual pushbutton -- in and out -- if the button is out then it's off no matter what. I guess yours are different?

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by joekd:
yep, I have two buttons, one OFF, one ON with a little green LED, so the default is ON when you start the car
Mine only has 1 button on the bottom of the mirror. It can be in one of 2 positions (one is lower than the other). When it is on, it has a green light inside.

Seems to be what Marcus has as well....

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I just put the Gentex Compass/Auto-Dimming Mirror in my father's Crown Vic today (the one that I took out when I installed my OTIS)I then took the factory Auto-Dimming mirror that was in his Crown Vic and installed it in my car.

The one in Randy's picture is the exact one that I put in my car today. Since I got that mirror from a Crown Vic, it's obvious that all the automakers go to the same manufacturer for their powered rear view mirrors.

The factory auto-dimming mirror out of the Crown Vic had a Gentex part #. As a matter of fact, all I had to do was unplug his old mirror and plug the new Compass/Auto-Dimming mirror using the same connector, took about 3 seconds!

As an aside, the factory "plain jane" mirror that was in my Intrepid was made by a company called "Donnelly".

·
Registered
587 Posts
Can you get auto-dimming side view mirrors??? I have heard a few people talk of this but have never seen them. I have limo tint on my rear window, so I dont really have any use for a rearview auto dimming mirror, but my side windows are only 15 percent, so I still get some glare happening from the side view mirrors. Anyone know if I can get an suto-dimming side view mirror?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts