DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Well I need to change my spark plugs and I wonder if I must buy the ones from A dealer or the Champion platinum Power spark plugs. Which one do you think is better? OEM or Champion platinum power?
Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Champion makes the OE plugs so there isn't much difference. The platinum ones will last longer. Personally I prefer NGK plugs for everything.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Depends on what motor you got. If you got a 3.2 or 3.5L get NGK plat lasers.
I was gonna say, I just pulled a plug yesterday and they are NGK. That should be factory, right? I'll have to check the sticker.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I use Champion copper plugs. They're cheap, and the plugs are easy to change on this car, so it's no big deal to do them every 30K miles. And nothing gives a hotter spark.

I have tried just about everything else except iridium plugs, all seem towork equally well. The 3.5 is not that finicky when it comes to plugs.

Jim Snover

Hello
Well I need to change my spark plugs and I wonder if I must buy the ones from A dealer or the Champion platinum Power spark plugs. Which one do you think is better? OEM or Champion platinum power?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I use Champion copper plugs. They're cheap, and the plugs are easy to change on this car, so it's no big deal to do them every 30K miles. And nothing gives a hotter spark.

I have tried just about everything else except iridium plugs, all seem towork equally well. The 3.5 is not that finicky when it comes to plugs.

Jim Snover
I'll try the iridium plugs tomorrow night and let you guys know. They are made by Champion?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
After reading the title of this thread, I think I will go out to Napa and buy some plugs.

DO NOT CHANGE THEM WHILE THE BLOCK IS HOT!!!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was watching Horsepower TV on Spike the other day and they did an experiment with the new E3 spark plugs versus other common brands as well as some well known "performance" plugs. The experiment involved the LT-1 V8 and their dynomometer. The results were surprising to say the least. The E3's actually saved 5% fuel and added 4 ponys to that awesome V-8.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Every couple of years companies come out with new design plugs that promise better fuel mileage and more power etc etc. I remember when Splitfire plugs were all the rage. On a dyno with all conditions controlled (basically a lab environment) the plugs may show some gain, but in real world driving conditions you'll never notice any difference. Most people install them and then say they feel the difference or whatever, but in reality its only in their head because they are expecting to feel a difference.

5% mileage increase and 4 horsepower sounds impressive, but if you're getting 20 mpg before the new plugs a 5% increase is only 1 mpg which will disappear the first time you leave a stoplight quickly or put a couple friends in the car. A 4 hp increase on a 350 hp V8 for example is a .01% increase. In an Intrepid with 200hp that would be 2hp. I challenge anyone to test drive two cars back to back and tell me which one has 2hp more than the other. My car runs great on $3 NGK G-power platinums and I'm sure would run just fine on the $1.50 Champion coppers. No need to spend $10 per plug which is what I've seen some sell for.

Now I'm not trying to dump on everyone or be a jerk but I did want to point out how most of these special spark plugs are much more marketing than performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think I will go with the champion platinum finally. By the way my car is 1999 intrepid 2.7 liters.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Every couple of years companies come out with new design plugs that promise better fuel mileage and more power etc etc. I remember when Splitfire plugs were all the rage. On a dyno with all conditions controlled (basically a lab environment) the plugs may show some gain, but in real world driving conditions you'll never notice any difference. Most people install them and then say they feel the difference or whatever, but in reality its only in their head because they are expecting to feel a difference.

5% mileage increase and 4 horsepower sounds impressive, but if you're getting 20 mpg before the new plugs a 5% increase is only 1 mpg which will disappear the first time you leave a stoplight quickly or put a couple friends in the car. A 4 hp increase on a 350 hp V8 for example is a .01% increase. In an Intrepid with 200hp that would be 2hp. I challenge anyone to test drive two cars back to back and tell me which one has 2hp more than the other. My car runs great on $3 NGK G-power platinums and I'm sure would run just fine on the $1.50 Champion coppers. No need to spend $10 per plug which is what I've seen some sell for.

Now I'm not trying to dump on everyone or be a jerk but I did want to point out how most of these special spark plugs are much more marketing than performance.

What kind of plugs do you use in your Eclipse/Lazor/Talon?

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
I was watching Horsepower TV on Spike the other day and they did an experiment with the new E3 spark plugs versus other common brands as well as some well known "performance" plugs. The experiment involved the LT-1 V8 and their dynomometer. The results were surprising to say the least. The E3's actually saved 5% fuel and added 4 ponys to that awesome V-8.
i saw this the other day to but did you also notice that them e3 plugs are one of there major sponsors?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah NGK laser platinums are like $10 each, but unless you have a car where changing plugs is a major job requiring you to pull the intake, etc. (Dodge Stealth comes to mind) I wouldn't bother with them. Even the regular platinums will last 75,000-100,000 miles and cost $3 each. I'm not saying you're a fool and getting ripped off if you pay $6 a pop for E3 plugs, but for the most part spark plugs are spark plugs.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Very well said...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
NGK V-power #BPR6EY

Even the guys running high boost, high power motors use the regular plugs, they just step up a heat range to BPR7.
I love those cars. I have a buddy with on and it's INSANE. Seriously disgustingly insanely fast....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts