DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I recently completed my ATC swap. By far it is my most useful mod to date, and the one I'm most proud of. In the middlle of it I had to make several posts asking questions. I thought it would be a great idea to make a thread where all of us who have done the mod can post tips and information we learned along the way to help other people in the future. This was definitely the most difficult mod I've attempted, and I was reluctant to do it because I couldn't find a whole lot of info on it here, other than those disturbing pics of DCB's car with the dash ripped out!

First of all I would definitely like to thank TFC for putting up these great directions on removing the dash. I printed this out and it was my bible while I was pulling everything apart.
Torontofirecaptain said:
To remove the dash:
remove the lower knee pad, driver's side; remove the metal support under the steering wheel; remove the 4 nuts holding the wheel up. (at this point, you should remove the pin that holds the upper and lower shafts together, unplug all the wire connectors and remove the wheel to get it out of your way entirely, but is is not necessary, but you need to unplug everything to replace the harness anyway, and it is easier to work without the wheel in your way. Same goes for the front seats. Makes it easier and less prone to damage with them out. Same goes for the console for the sake of 3 screws, zip the sucker out. The screws and 2 nuts that hold it to the dash need to come out anyway.) I'd also take out the radio and CD - less to worry about damaging.
Now, once the wheel is out of the way, you'll look up where it used to be and see there is 1 lonely philips screw - remove it.
Looking to your left under there, unplug all of the wiring that goes to the BCM/junction block. Just above it, undo the 10MM bolt that holds the white block above the brake pedal and unplug all of the wires from it, and the single wire to the emergency brake switch above the pedal.
Then, beside the throttle pedal, lift the carpet, you'll see two 10MM nuts holding a whole pile of ground wires - remove them, and just above them, undo the big white connector.
Next slide to the passenger side, take off the kick plate, then unplug the radio and antenna wiring.
Remove the rt & lt pillar moldings, then the dash trim plate (at the windshield - it lifts at your edge and pulls stright back.
Now you can undo the 3 bolts down the right door pillar, the 6 along the windshield and the 3 on the left door pillar.
Then if you didn't already, undo the two philips screws that hold the metal plate at the end of the console, and as mentioned above, take the console out. Under the dash at the carpet, you will see two 13MM nuts- remove them.
The dash will now come out.

It is easier with two people, but you can do it your self.

Place the dash on something soft so you dont damage it, and turn it over to reveal the wiring. You will need to remove pretty much all of the plastic vent tubing and metal bracing to get the harnesses out and in. You can fight and curse and not take them off, but..................in the end, it is easier and faster.
As I said above, same goes for the wheel and front seats.
When you remove the lower harness from under the heater, there are two plastic retainers that are impossible to get at to unscrew - use a knife and cut the tape holding them; you save time and nerves.
You will also need a long narrow screw driver to release the tabs on a couple of the plugs. You'll see which ones when you try - and fail - to get them off with your fingers.
The blower control comes out by using a 1/4" drive 8mm (I think) deep socket. Any other method will cause you more swearing and cursing.

Once you are all done, reverse the above, make sure everything is plugged in where you removed it - all the plugs are colour and shape matched, they can't go in the wrong places.
Piece of cake - I can do it in less than 2 hours - out in 25 mins; harness swap, 30 mins; reinstall 1 hour. You should be able to do it in 4 1/2 - 5 hours.
Hope this helps.
Some things I would like to add:
I would highly recommend having a friend around to help. I did nearly everything myself, including removing the dash and putting it on the seats, but I needed help in getting the dash out of the car and into the house. I was under the impression that the only reason for unbolting the steering wheel was to make more room to get the dash out. After tugging on the dash for quite some time I discovered that there is a screw under the steering wheel mounting plate and the plate must be unbolted in order to get to this screw. I'm aware it was mentioned in the directions, but I mistook the "lonely screw" to be a different one. Before unbolting the wheel, be sure to turn it 180° and lock it to prevent damge to the clockspring. I failed to do this and although the clockspring was ok, the whole assembly with the ignition switch and turn signal lever spun around on the steering shaft and broke the clip on the ignition/park interlock cable. Secondly, the bolts going along the windshield can be quite a pain to remove. There is very little room to move the ratchet without hitting the windshield and it is uncomfortable to lay across the dash. After struggling with the first 2, I found that a deep socket and a 2' extension make it easy to sit in the seat and remove the bolts. As far as the harnesses go, from what I've gathered the majority of connections are the same on all LHs from 98-00, 01, and 02-04, with each range representing a different harness. There are minor differences however. Shamrock and I both discovered that the 2000 R/T has a female antenna connector in the dash harnes, whereas the 99 & 00 300m/LHS have a male. This problem can easily be solved with a simple female-to-female motorola cable. The 300m or LHS harness may also have an extra plug for the dash clock but it doesn't need to be connected to anything. With the help of Ronbo, I also found that the airbag connectors changed from 99 to 00. The wire colors and functions in the plug are the same, however their arrangement is different. If you attempt to use a 99 harness in a 00 or vice-versa, you must rearrange the pins to make them match your stock harness or you will get an airbag light and the airbags won't work. I didn't discover this until the car was put back together and my light came on. It was much harder at this point to rearrange the plug because the dash was already in. It should be very easy to do while the harnesses are out though. Other than these two minor connectors, the 99 LHS harness was fully compatible with my 00 R/T.

If I think of anything else I'll update this thread later but those are the major points for now. I know there were a few more small things I ran into, but none were a big deal because if they were I would remember them!! I really hope this helps some people out and makes them confident enough to attempt this mod because the results are great. I would really appreciate it if you other members of the ATC swap club would post some comments as well. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
yo good looks man. I'm currently searching for a 99 ATC harness for my intrepid so I can do it. I haven't really seen Intrepid's with the column shift with the ATC, and I wanna do it for my car. Soon as I get the harness then I will surely look into your page for info.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,299 Posts
Willing to help out on FSM research for pin/connectors for decent people.

Reactions: 00RT

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Intrepidman21 said:
yo good looks man. I'm currently searching for a 99 ATC harness for my intrepid so I can do it. I haven't really seen Intrepid's with the column shift with the ATC, and I wanna do it for my car. Soon as I get the harness then I will surely look into your page for info.
Are you sure there isn't any extra electrical connections in the dash harness for the column shift?? I'm thinking there isn't and its probably just a different type of shift cable and ignition interlock but you might want to check first just to be sure. The other ATC parts are pretty easy to find but its pretty hard to come across someone selling a dash harness probably just because there is so much work involved in removing them and you need to find one from the right year. Have you tried sending TFC a PM, he might be able to help you out. I wasn't planning on doing this mod right away but when I had the chance I couldn't let the harness get away and I'm glad I jumped on it. Good Luck in your search.

Ronbo said:
Willing to help out on FSM research for pin/connectors for decent people.
Thats really nice of you Ron, you put more time into helping me out than most would, and it is really appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you use a 2002 harness in a 2001 you'll need to cut off your origional passenger airbag connector to reuse on newer harness-otherwise it's plug and play. Not a big deal-just some are unwilling/unable to make a proper splice(not something you want to use crimp connectors on.....)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Figured i would post this here rather than a new thread if you ahve a 02+ you need a 02+ and up harness right?? i have a 01 300m harness i got for my 99 but never put it in guess i cant use it now eh LOL

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IntrepidCUB said:
Figured i would post this here rather than a new thread if you ahve a 02+ you need a 02+ and up harness right?? i have a 01 300m harness i got for my 99 but never put it in guess i cant use it now eh LOL
Not if you're palnning on buying that 04. You should throw up a thread in the B/S/T forum. There were a few people looking for the harness you have for a long time, If I remember correctly they were badasstrep and code2medic but I could be mistaken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts