DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Offset

963 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kcarlos2000 
#1 ·
Forgive my ignorance but what would happen if I put a wheel on the Trep that has a offset greater than what is suggested. The rim that I am looking at has an offset of 50. Can I get away with running this wheel or will it have a negative effect on my car? Thanks in advance for your input. Did I mention lately that I love this site?

#3 ·
Thanks for the link Warlord. The rim is 17 X 7, 5X114.3 but with a offset of +50.

And for those to lazy to click the link to get the information.

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

#4 ·
The biggest problem you have with too much possitive offset is that the inside lip of the wheel may hit the suspension. Going the other way will push the wheels out beyond the fenders and really affect the suspension geometry...

#5 ·
Hey Keith,

I've been eyeing a TSW wheel - the Mondello. They recommend an 18x8(among others) for the Intrepid. The say I can use a 20 or 40 offset. I have seen another site recommend that rim at a 40 offset.

Sooo what are you looking at ?????

#6 ·
+40 offset is ideal, however with only a 7" wide rim, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with a +50 offset. I have 8.5" wide rims, and there's NO WAY I could run a +50 offset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.