DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as you New Englanders know, it's been like 1* F out for the past couple days, and my car has been acting funky. When i first start it up, it sounds like something out of hell is trying to claw it's way out of my engine bay, but that goes away. Second, the oil light stays on, and then flickers off in say 20 seconds. Now my dad's saying that my oil is probably like jello since it's so cold, which i can see. He said his old car used to have a heater/dipstick so the oil wouldn't get cloggy, so i can see why that's happening. But then acceleration. If i floor it, the car just doesn't pull like it used to, and then it hangs around 6k rpm. I let off the gas, but it's not shifting like it should, even after i let the car heat up for a while (temps are like 2 1/2 notches, blows out hot air from vents). Any idea's? When i drive normally it does fine, it's only when i punch it. And the last night after coming home from lifeguard recert, when i pulled up the driveway and stopped, the light came on again. Anyone?

-Adam

·
Registered
205 Posts
its FREEEZZINNNGG out man

my car did the same thing.. the sound out of the engine, wierd shifts, oil light.. it was sitting overnight in -20C weather (without windchill.. then again throughout the day...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright so i'm not the only one. I wasn't worried out it, just curious if it was happening to other people out there. ****ing weather. You know, i wouldn't mind if it's cold and snowing (i ski, so it's all good), but when it's just cold, that ticks me off.

Thanks for the input.

-Adam

·
Registered
133 Posts
the same exact thing is happening with my tranny, it's almost like it doesn't want to shift through all the gears. i just figured it was because of the temp, and i'm glad to see it really is. I just changed my oil not too long ago, so that should be good for the cold weather (5w30), and the only other thing the cold seems to be doing is making the steering sound funny (Loud noises from the rack) but it does that even when it's like 15 deg out. I just let the car warm up for about 5-10 mins before i even get in it (gotta love the remote starter), and things seem to be better.

-bob

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah man, my steering wheel makes some funny creeking ass noise when I turn it also when it's cold out. What exactly is sound coming from and how do I fix it? It did this last winter also..

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
how to fix the problems i think we northerners have with our treps is to move below .........say north carolina and it will all be good!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gotta love the remote starter
My dad's says i'm his remote starter. That bastard!

My steering column does the same thing, i think it's just plastic rubbing.

Screw NC, Cancoon or bust!!! :D

-Adam

·
Registered
205 Posts
ive always kept the trep in the garage.. especially overnight. Lastnight i was studyin for exams and forgot to put the car in the garage.. the temperature really got to her. She was making some CRAZY noises when i started her up... "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

·
Registered
429 Posts
dabirdz96 said:
how to fix the problems i think we northerners have with our treps is to move below .........say north carolina and it will all be good!!
Except its freezing down there too and they just got dumped on with snow. Cant wait to to to San Diego this weekend. THAW

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
all cars suck when it's -40 outside. my intrepid is a POS in the cold weather too.....don't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok now i think i may have a more serious problem on hand. Coming home from school, i had the car running for a while, then left, it's makes this deep ticking sound, and it didn't go away. Neither did the oil light. Pulling into my driveway, the car just shut off, i noticed cause the power steering went halfway into my turn. So i started the car up and just went up, but i think something may be wrong. I don't know if it's a belt or something, i'm gonna have my dad look at it. Any ideas?

-Adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts