DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Oil Analysis Report from 2000 300M

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Grayslater 
#1 ·
I'm still running the oil taken from this oil analysis. Though the sample was taken at 5,000 I'm going to take a sample again at 10,000.

Filter was changed at the 5,000 mile marker and between the sample taken and filter change, 1 quart was added.

1st filter was the Puralator PureOne and replaced with the Wix (Napa Gold) Have a case of these now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Now @ 10,000 miles

I'm still running the oil taken from this oil analysis. Though the sample was taken at 9,950.
This engine loves the Mobil 1 5W/30 EP!

Filter was changed again at this interval (Wix - Napa Gold) and between the sample taken and filter change, 1 quart was added.

2nd UOA (Used Oil Analysis) for this vehicle.

#5 ·
How much does the analysis cost Grayslater?
How do you obtain an oil sample without dumping it?

We run pretty much the same recipe in our 3.5's.
Our 94 also gets Mobil1 5w30, Bosch +4's and a K&N drop in and I just switched to Wix oil filters.

#7 ·
jfsram said:
How much does the analysis cost Grayslater?
How do you obtain an oil sample without dumping it?

We run pretty much the same recipe in our 3.5's.
Our 94 also gets Mobil1 5w30, Bosch +4's and a K&N drop in and I just switched to Wix oil filters.
$20 for the Analysis with an additional $10 if you want the TBN.
TBN measures the amount of base in the oil. This is what neutralizes the acids formulated in your engine.

Yeah, it's a little expensive but I'm tryin to reduce future costs and extend my oil changes. Not to mention, that it gives me some added reassurances of what's going on inside. I've also done this and posted here and the 300M Club to benefit those other members that are looking to do the same.

I should also note that my driving conditions are mostly from my daily commute of 100 miles per day @ 99% highway miles.

To answer your question, no I'm not taking it from the filter. It's kind of difficult to pour the oil out of the filter into the little collection bottle (which is free by the way from Blackstone Labs. I just control the pour with the drain plug. They also have pumps you can purchase so that you can pump it out via the filler tube.

Also please note: this was Mobil 1 EP (Extended Protection) the stuff that is supposed to be guaranteed for 15,000 miles.

Below is a little something I made that considers yearly oil costs.
Now, I have already purchased the PP and will be using it next to determine if it can go 10,000 miles. I love rebates. :)

#9 ·
Nice UOAs Cory. Looks like M1 EP is a winner in the 3.5.

The TBN is definitely nearly at the end though. There isn't much reserve left. Personally, I'd settle on 10,000 mi OCI based on these analysis and be happy.

#10 · (Edited)
Please note, the important thing he said here "drives 100 miles per day and 99 % highway"
That has a big impact on his oil analysis. Highway miles are ther best miles. The engine and oil get warm enough to burn off fuel and moisture in the oil and he can get away with the distances between oil changes he is getting.
If you drive city and stop and go and short commutes, you MUST change your oil more often.
I have over 200,000 miles on my 2000 3.5 and it burns no oil, compression is perfect, runs perfect. 60 % highway miles and mobil 1 10w30 every 3500 miles. I could probably go more between changes, but its habbit for me to do all the family cars at 3500 miles. Tranny is original too and all i did to it was change the fluid and filter at 120,000 miles (im getting close to another change, none of that flush crap)
If you use a good oil, take care of the car, the 3.5L second gen can go a long long long way before it need any major attention. (other than normal service, belts, filters and such)

#11 ·
Here's my last sample taken of the the Mobil 1 5W-30 EP @ 12,532 miles!!

Filters changed at 5,000 and 10,000 miles. With make up quarts between 1 - 1.5 qts for the oil filter change and samples taken.

Now running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 which I haven't decided how far an OCI to go. Thinking about 2/3 of the distance of the Mobil EP but not sure now that it's winter. I may just go 5,000 and then start fresh with another PP OCI of longer??

#13 ·
luisa said:
How many miles do you have in her rite now as of yet?, when/what miles did you start using the mobil1 5w/30?, and what filter do you use with the mobil1 stuff?, any leaks or seepage anywhere as of yet?, or repaired?, Thanks! :)

LU
All that info is available in the first and last post. Review the last image for mileage. All 3 analysis are with Mobil 1 5W-30 EP

First filter was Purlator PureOne and the last couple are the Wix Gold (Napa) have a case of these.

#14 ·
GR8WHT said:
Please note, the important thing he said here "drives 100 miles per day and 99 % highway"
That has a big impact on his oil analysis. Highway miles are ther best miles. The engine and oil get warm enough to burn off fuel and moisture in the oil and he can get away with the distances between oil changes he is getting.
If you drive city and stop and go and short commutes, you MUST change your oil more often.
I have over 200,000 miles on my 2000 3.5 and it burns no oil, compression is perfect, runs perfect. 60 % highway miles and mobil 1 10w30 every 3500 miles. I could probably go more between changes, but its habbit for me to do all the family cars at 3500 miles. Tranny is original too and all i did to it was change the fluid and filter at 120,000 miles (im getting close to another change, none of that flush crap)
If you use a good oil, take care of the car, the 3.5L second gen can go a long long long way before it need any major attention. (other than normal service, belts, filters and such)
Very good to point that out again.

As I have often posted, I often went past 10,000 miles in-between oil changes because I was putting on 1,000 miles a week during stretches. I never did an analysis on it, but I always make sure to be in the shop when they change it to give it the ol visual test. They mechanics (I went to a real mechanics shop, not a quickie lube place then) said that oil wasn't dirty or abnormal, again just by sight.

But when I moved away from Iowa and started driving city miles again, I had to change the oil every 3-5K just to be safe.

When driving strictly highways, it's pretty safe to exceed 3000 miles by quite a bit even when using Dino oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.