DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading different post on 2.7 engine sludge problems,where a persons engine blew he said he had bought the car used with 30000 miles on it
and it had 51000 on it when it blew, also stated he had changed the oil 3 times since it was purchased. thats 6700 miles between oil changes. To me personably thats a No No! oh well just my opinion, I have never changed the oil at that interval no matter what car it is. Also wonder if the filter was also changed each interval?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Actually if the car was due for a change when it quit and the oil was changed 3 times it could have been only 5250 miles between changes. And that would be right in the middle of the two maintenance schedules recommended by DC. Still might be too long between changes depending on how and where driven.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil

my 2002 se has 26000 on it now and had 25000 when i bought it ,the dealer changed it at 25000 at my request,they used castrol syntec . i changed it at 26300 again with mobile 7500 syn blend,mostly to start out clean and if something happened and the dealer lost their service records, i still changed it
for sure at the reccommend time

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
With 2.7L engines especially used engines you never know how the previously owner treated the engine. You don't know how often the oil was changed, what kind of oil they used, thier driving habits. All you can do is try and take care of the engine as best you can. I have had my 2.7L for 4 years and i have 121,000 miles on it, i bought it when it had 26K miles. I use sythetic oil and change it every 4K-5K miles. Just care of it best you can and the engine will take of you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
my car was running great before the sensors went and then everything went to the shitter, but then again i was changing the oil weekly. every friday i changed the oil.

·
Registered
589 Posts
jfsram said:
Weekly oil changes?? Way too often.
i put close to 300 miles on my car per day during the week, and close to 500 on weekends... so all in all, i was changing it around 3k miles.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
jfsram said:
Highway intervals can be lengthened to 5000K without guilt.
Exactly! If a person owns a trep with a 2.7 it is MUCH better for the motor if it is driven on the highway. Highway miles are good! Stop and go driving for that motor is bad. I have had my 00 SE since May of 2001. Almost 90k on the clock, and I have been using Mobil One Synthetic motor oil every 3,000-3,500 miles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
petroleum base oil also works

So many of the " normal " life responses on the 2.7L lasting seem to attribute that " miracle" to using Mobil 1 or other synthetics. I have never used synthetic and have 150,000 miles on my 2001 2.7L and now 85,000 miles on my 2002 2.7L. I don't think it is necessary to use synthetic oil to get what would be deemed " normal" life out of a 2.7L engine. Just change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, keep the coolant full and the air filter clean and enjoy the car. On my 3rd Trep, including my 1997 3.3L with 209,000 miles my son now drives and they all have been trouble free,GREAT cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts