DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passed down my 94 concord 3.5 150,000kms to my wife.

She drives a couple of miles to work, now it seams to be using oil ,no evidence of leaking but i drove it relitivly hard.

Where should i look for leaks ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any evidence of oil dripping from the timing belt cover? It could indicate a failing crank shaft oil seal, though usually that would cause low oil pressure. You oil sending unit may be bad as well, mine was leaking oil to the inside of the unit, causing it to funcion intermitantly and not indicate an actual low oil pressure problem.

All three Intrepids in my family have had bad valve cover gaskets, mine caused me to loose a quart of oil to my exhaust manifold in two weeks time. My aunt's '96 is blowing oil through her PCV valve, leaking on four of the six connections from the spark plug tubes to the valve cover, and from the oil pan.

My LeBaron (different car, I know, but similar concept?) blew a head gasket and lost oil to the antifreeze. At least I think that's what caused it. I haven't really gotten in there to check yet.

Your piston's O-Rings may be worn and you may be burning oil, though that would cause poor running condition if it were bad enough.

Of course you may hit the jackpot and have all of the above, or maybe none.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Assuming you do regular maintenance (which would eliminate the PCV valve) ...

I'd look for seepage from the valve covers first - that's the usual place to start. If they're leaking all you may see is a little oil just above the exhaust manifold. Next check the oil pan gasket followed by the main seal at the front of the crankshaft. Hopefully it'll be one of the first two problems - the main is an expensive fix ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts