DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-My oil dipstick broke off inside the tube it goes down in to. How do I get that out? I have another dipstick I can put in, but it's useless until I get the broken one out.

Thanks,
-BaTmAn

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Needlenosed pliers, vice grip.

·
Registered
840 Posts
i believe the tube can be removed. as did for trany dipstick tube.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
OMG GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!

Dont just be an ass and put the new one in without getting that one out.

This is why i had to replace my motor. My old one had the oil dipstic brake off and go into the motor. The old owner didnt inform me of this, so after 7 months of driving with a dipstic in the oil pan a piston ring went to hell and i had a nice rod knock.

If it didnt go to far down get some locking pliers and a wood screw. Heat the screw up with a lighter or a torch and then slowly screw it in. Wait for it to cool and then pull straight up.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-It didnt fall in... yet... I'll see if I can get a screw or something to screw in and pull it out. I tried needle-nosed pliers last night and I couldn't get a hold of it. Then I tried pulling the tube that it goes in off, but I don't know how..

Any other ideas welcome,
-BaTmAn

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
dalpaul said:
i believe the tube can be removed. as did for trany dipstick tube.
on the 3.3 there is a bracket attatched to the tube and bolted to the block just below the head. remove the bolt and you should be able to pull the whole tube up out of the block and shove the stick up from the bottom of the tube and then pull it out with a regular pliers.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
This is a problem known for years.

My friend is a lubestop manager and he said hes seen so many of these dipsticks broke in intrepids. Theyv'e sent the car to a delear to get a new tube and new dipstic on the car. The new tube has a bend in it so if the stick broke it wont fall in.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-Yeah, my friend asked me a while ago if mine has ever broken off yet and I said no. A couple weeks later, my dad and I were fixing my motor mounts and my dad broke it. Well, I'm about 1500 miles overdue for a oil change and my fuel pressure regulator was leaking gas into my oil. I figured it's time to fix the stupid dipstick problem.

Thanks,
-BaTmAn

·
Registered
94 Posts
The oil change place broke mine and said nothing.

Since there was still part of the handle down in the tub, this is what I did.

Got a real small drill bit and put slight pressure to drill the hole.

Than I got a long thin screw and threaded it in lightly and slowly.

Pulled it out and replaced...

-Mario

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-Thats what I was thinking about doing, lightly threading a small screw into it and then grabbing the screw with needle-nosed pliers. I still have yet to do that today.. I sort of fell asleep for about 4 hrs!

BaTmAn

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Dont worry about it just dont drive alot with it stuck down there.

I drove mine maby 2 days before i was able to get it out. My friend at lube stop hooked me up with a dipstic free. :) like i said before its real common.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
-The problem isn't getting a new dipstick, the problem is that I can't get the old one out! And it's been in there since... probably Jan. or Feb.! I just tried getting it out to no avail. Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
-BaTmAn

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
WHOA................ Can you see it ? lol
Tomarrow ill take some shots on exactly what you need to do.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
-Yeah Peppa, I can see it. Thanks for looking into it for me!

-BaTmAn

·
Registered
424 Posts
if any of the metal is sticking out of the plastic, it is going to be a pain, but you could use one of those magnetic stick things. it would stick to your tube the whole way down(If I recall these are metal), but once you got down to the dipstick, you may be able to slide it up enough to get some pliers on it. Or just remove the tube as suggested before
-Taaf-

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had some plastic left on the handle, I drilled a small hole in the center of it with a dremel and then screwed a screwhook into it nd then pulled the mess out..

new oil dipstick costs 10 cnd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts